Thai License Okay in Cambodia?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
faynce
Tourist
United States of America

Thai License Okay in Cambodia?

Post by faynce »

Hi,

I live in Thailand for years and have 5-year licenses for both cars and motorcycles in Thailand. Can I legally drive on the road here in Cambodia with those? Because of ASEAN, can I simply exchange my Thai license for a Cambodian license?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai License Okay in Cambodia?

Post by armchairlawyer »

Idk about exchanging, but anyone with a valid foreign licence who is resident here can get a one year Cambodian licence.
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by drozd »

faynce wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:07 am Hi,

I live in Thailand for years and have 5-year licenses for both cars and motorcycles in Thailand. Can I legally drive on the road here in Cambodia with those? Because of ASEAN, can I simply exchange my Thai license for a Cambodian license?
Not valid in Cambodia. If you want to exchange your license then it have to be of same nationality as your passport.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Are you Thai?
The law says 'home country' licenses can be exchanged, not sure a Thai license from a non Thai is accepted for exchange.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:09 am Idk about exchanging, but anyone with a valid foreign licence who is resident here can get a one year Cambodian licence.
Not sure whether this is true if the license is from another country than your 'home country' (passport nationality).
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You can only convert a license from your home country, must match your passport.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

International Driving Permits are now allowed in Cambodia.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

drozd wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:32 am

Not valid in Cambodia. If you want to exchange your license then it have to be of same nationality as your passport.
sort of correct,
A thai license is legally valid in Cambodia thru ASEAN

BUT in reality the times over the past 14 odd years of driving in Cambodia with a Thai registered car, i have shown my Thai license, 2 times it was accepted, after I and my Cambodian gf argued with the police ....3x it was not and I was fined
2nd part I have been told that i can obtain a Cambodia license showing my Thai license but have not put it to the test<
i placed this in a thread if anyone cares to find it.

Good luck
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic