Huge Fire Engulfs Kep Market : 121 Shops Destroyed

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Huge Fire Engulfs Kep Market : 121 Shops Destroyed

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Kep Province): According to Kep police, on July 19, 2021, in Our Krosar village, Sangkat Our Krosar, Kep city, at 6:00 pm, after the sellers had all closed up the shops and the market, a fire erupted, engulfing more than 120 shops in the Sessor Market in Kep city.
40 firefighter trucks were used by the authorities to put out the fire successfully, but 121 shops were destroyed. For the moment, it is believed that the fire broke out due to a faulty electrical circuit in a market shop.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Huge Fire Engulfs Kep Market : 121 Shops Destroyed

Post by Ghostwriter »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:23 am 40 firefighter trucks were used by the authorities to put out the fire successfully,
That's a lot of trucks for Kep... All from the surroundings, or did they have to call from far away areas ?
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Damn .. a lot of livelihood lost there at the worst possible time .. very sad but at least no lives lost .
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Glad this never happened before so they can learn from this occasion and prevent it from happening again.

8)
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

As per usual, faulty electrical wiring.

Almost every fire (of which Cambodia has far more than it's fair share) appears to be down to some kind of electrical fault.

Be careful in your homes everyone. If you live in an apartment block, keep those windows open and get out as soon as you smell the faintest of smoke.

You only have to look at the haphazard way cables are strung down and across roads to see the attitude they have to cable management - granted, a lot of those cables are telephone / internet, but it's still fair to say that health and safety, when it comes to electrical installations, is about as high on the list as salad would be on an average American shopping list.

Terrible loss of livelihood but thankfully, as as I can tell, no loss of life.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Up the road from us.
There is a behind the scene story about background of this.
2 points, they say " believed to have started" and after the market was closed, so nobody injured
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Ghostwriter wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:32 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:23 am 40 firefighter trucks were used by the authorities to put out the fire successfully,
That's a lot of trucks for Kep... All from the surroundings, or did they have to call from far away areas ?
there are usually 3 or 4 fire trucks parked just off the main road in Kep next to the biggest police station....thats just over the road from the road down the the ferry jetty if my early morning memory is correct
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Just in time for a new "development" plan... Actually I doubt it. That market has been a staple for 70+ years. I hate Kept though. Public property being "rented out" all the time. Has always annoyed me.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 am Just in time for a new "development" plan... Actually I doubt it. That market has been a staple for 70+ years. I hate Kept though. Public property being "rented out" all the time. Has always annoyed me.
Why would that make you hate a town?
People of the world, spice up your life.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

mannanman wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:59 am
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:43 am Just in time for a new "development" plan... Actually I doubt it. That market has been a staple for 70+ years. I hate Kept though. Public property being "rented out" all the time. Has always annoyed me.
Why would that make you hate a town?
Right? Surely he's confusing kep with kampot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic