Sacred traditions at risk amid Covid (Apsara)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sacred traditions at risk amid Covid (Apsara)

Post by Samana Johann »

nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Sacred traditions at risk amid Covid (Apsara)

Post by nemo »

Generally it is customary to furnish a short synopsis if you want people to click on your link.
Like this:
Prior to Covid, every time the troupe performed it gave people goose bumps and many tourists witnessed and shared an amazing experience watching them perform.

Ravynn expresses sadness over the fact that while many truly appreciate the talent and respect the sacred nature of the dances being performed there are many Cambodians today who still take it lightly.

She says they don’t realize that if they lose this group they will be losing a big part of their heritage and culture.

Ravynn is appealing to the public for help because being a sacred dancer is a full time job. The preparations for the dances consume almost the whole day and the sacred dancers perform the dances daily so for them to find other jobs on the side is impossible.

Ravynn has been using her own money to provide their salaries since Covid-19 disrupted everything, but the financial burden is starting to wear on her and she says she needs some assistance from others in order to keep going.

The troupe has already gone from 176 members to just 25 members now remaining, something Ravynn grieves over already.

“This is my last thing. I’m not taking any more responsibility if [the Cambodian people] don’t take responsibility. I have given so much of my life, my time, my energy, my heart and soul and money. I respect and love our culture so deeply that’s why I don’t just wash my hands and walk away. It’s for the whole Cambodia.

“I do understand that Covid is affecting people all around the world but if at least 4,000 gentle souls could donate just $1 a month it will only cost them $12 a year until tourism resumes and this will ensure that the dance troupe will survive.

“The spiritual thread of the Sacred Dancers of Angkor must continue to honour the Gods, Divinities and Spirits of the sacred land,” she says.
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Samana Johann »

(OT: It surely possible to regard the hint as well meant, however: If one is given such, fine. Not all customs are 'harmless', some also not cultural, and maybe marking as quotation with link might indicate respect and will for giving credits. No need to follow a link if not wished, and it's not my person's one, but just relayed to interests under board name.)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

By adding some words of your own manufacture, rather than just copy&paste a link, would also demonstrate your own interest in the issue, as opposed to what might be your interest in others’ reaction to the link posted. More likely to elicit meaningful discussion.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic