Sand Ferry Sinks $7K Speed Boat on Riverside

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sand Ferry Sinks $7K Speed Boat on Riverside

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On July 11, 2021, in front of the Royal Palace, Ti Mouy village, Sangkat/Khan Chroy Changvar, a sand ferry crashed into a 7000 USD speed boat. Fortunately, nobody died, but a woman was injured on the head in the incident.

After the collision, the ferry driver promised to pay for the damaged and sunk speed boat, then he drove off. There were 3 passengers in the boat,including the driver ; Sman Khasen, a 60-year-old man, Leb Athikah, a 60-year-old woman, and Sar Kirin, a 21-year-old man who live in Sangkat/Khan Chroy Changvar.

Before the incident, the family in the speed boat was on the way to sell their fish from the other side of the Mekong River to Phnom Penh, when at the same, there was a sand ferry travelling from southern upstream and then crashed into the boat, which completely destroyed it. The family jumped into the water and got rescued immediately by another speed boat.
Later on, they tried to rescue and salvage the sunk boat.

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Sand Ferry Sinks $7K Speed Boat on Riverside

Post by atst »

By the look of the motor they salvaged it must have been a 7k Riel speed boat, I can't imagine how the slow moving sand ferry could be at fault.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

atst wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:10 pm By the look of the motor they salvaged it must have been a 7k Riel speed boat, I can't imagine how the slow moving sand ferry could be at fault.
Given the way a lot of Khmer drive I can’t see boats being piloted any differently.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Shouldn't they be taking both of the boats back to the police station for legal proceedings? Sounds like the sand ferry did a runner :shock:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

atst wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:10 pm By the look of the motor they salvaged it must have been a 7k Riel speed boat, I can't imagine how the slow moving sand ferry could be at fault.
If someone sunk your boat and then had to pay you for the damage - would you say that your boat was worth 7000r or $7000 ? :mrgreen:
As for the sand ferries, they are overloaded, so like the overloaded trucks with no brakes, it's probably impossible to stop them once you get going.

Looks like the driver did a runner anyway. (Slowly of course.)
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Saw this from my window at Sokha Hotel today didnt know what was going on.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I can imagine just how quick the sand ferrys escape was
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I don't know but it sounds to me that the so called speed boat my have cut across the bow of the sand ferry.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Felgerkarb
Expatriate

Post by Felgerkarb »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:16 am I don't know but it sounds to me that the so called speed boat my have cut across the bow of the sand ferry.
That would be my guess.
===============
We are all puppets in the hands of an insane puppeteer...
--Brother Theodore
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic