Cambodia's Wildflowers and Plants

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's Wildflowers and Plants

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Protecting Wildlife Includes Respect for Cambodia's Wonderful Plant Biodiversity
Phnom Penh: A senior official of the Ministry of Environment has called on tourists to take care of biodiversity and not to pick wild flowers and plants in order to preserve biodiversity and preserve the beauty of the national parks.
As more and more Cambodians travel to protected areas for both leisure and adventure, senior officials of the Ministry of Environment call on tourists to take care of the environment by packing and taking away their solid waste. Tourists should especially not pick the flowers of wild plants that are endangered to keep the seeds and the beauty of the resort for the visit of other tourists who like and love nature.
The appeal of Mr. Neth Pheaktra, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Environment, was made after observing that a small number of tourists still did not properly respect the rules of environmental hygiene and sometimes picked some flowers to take pictures to show their love of nature. A senior official of the Ministry of Environment said that if you love and admire these beautiful plants, you should leave them on the trees or in the ground so that other tourists can also see their beauty.

According to the study of experts,Nepenthes are carnivorous plants, but little is known about them in Cambodia. It is called a carnivorous plant because it can kill and digest animals that go into its special leaf trap.
This plant grows in protected areas in Cambodia, and well-known locations are on the Bokor National Park and in the Central Cardamoms National Park. They are a tube-like plant that contains a substance that can attract insects into its tubing and drown it to death. When the insect dies, the plant's special organs begin to break down the insect carcass into nutrients, allowing the plant to thrive.

The Secretary of State for the Ministry of Environment said that there are 129 species of Nepenthes in the world, five of which are found growing in Cambodia, including:
First: Nepenthes bokorensis, a species that is present in the mountains of Monivong National Park "Bokor".
Second, Nepenthes holdenii grows in the mountains of southwestern Cambodia, such as in the Cardamom Mountains.
Third: Nepenthes kampotiana Lecomte grows in Kampot, Phnom Samkos wildlife sanctuary and in the Cardamom Mountains.
Fourth: Nepenthes mirabilis (Loureiro) Druce grows in Kampot, Kep and Sihanoukville.
Fifth: Nepenthes smilesii Hemsley is found in Kampot province and Preah Suramarit Kosomak National Park "Kirirom" of Kampong Speu province.

According to Secretary of State, Net Pheaktra, all of these rare plants are included in Appendix II of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), and he called on people and tourists to take care of biodiversity, including flowers and all plants to allow the rare species to survive and to participate in maintaining the beauty of eco-tourism resorts to attract other tourists, thus creating jobs for the community and providing income for the local people.
Source and photos : nkdnews
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Cambodia's Wildflowers and Plants

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I'm quivering, slathering, champing at the bit, pulling at the reins, rattling the bars trying to tear down the cage...

'Never been much of a botanist in Cambodia except for how it affects my fauna. Hoping to get lost in a jungle of coastal, mangrove and estuarine microplants when i get back. Not just orchids.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Pitcher plants, I’ve not seen the pitchers growing at ground level before, only hanging/suspended.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Phnom Penh Post have posted the story now.
Nothing new here - sorry - I'm just bumping this thread up because I like wild plants, and they don't get much of a say in comparison with wild animals, so I'm happy to see this reposted in the news tonight . :hattip: Maybe someone will pay attention ?
Official: Protect rare pitcher plants
Ry Sochan | Publication date 11 July 2021 | 20:42 ICT
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... her-plants
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic