The bars now

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The bars now

Post by Kammekor »

mcam wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:30 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:31 am
Doc67 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:08 am
jah steu wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:03 pm Many hostess bars changed their business licences from bar to restaurant, removed all signage referring to bars, and printed food menus, all as recommended by the local songkat if they wanted to re-open, several months ago.
But this same songkat, and the kahn, then said “no you can’t open - everyone knows you are really a bar with ladies”. I think they were leaned on by their bosses higher up the ladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are plenty of restaurant/bars currently open are effectively just bars with no "ladies" and just the occasional meal.

When do you think the restart will begin? If the vaccines work, perhaps by August\September?
My two cents: they won't open the bars before the schools have been opened. Schools will open October first for the new school year.
New school year isn't until Jan.
Only some private schools in Phnom Penh run from Jan-Dec. All state schools and most private schools across the country follow the ministry guideline from Oct-Sept.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

Was changed for this school year. Now Jan to Nov with December as holiday.
mcam
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by mcam »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50877280/e ... e-schools/

"According to the ministry’s separate guidelines issued yesterday, the grade 9 examinations will take place on Nov. 15, 2021 and the grade 12 examinations on Dec. 6 for the public schools; but on Oct. 11 and Oct. 25, respectively for the private schools.

The ministry also allowed private schools to prepare grade 9 and grade 12 examinations at their own institutions.

Year-end vacation is scheduled from Dec. 1 to 31, 2020 for public schools, added the same source."
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

mcam wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:26 am https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50877280/e ... e-schools/

"According to the ministry’s separate guidelines issued yesterday, the grade 9 examinations will take place on Nov. 15, 2021 and the grade 12 examinations on Dec. 6 for the public schools; but on Oct. 11 and Oct. 25, respectively for the private schools.

The ministry also allowed private schools to prepare grade 9 and grade 12 examinations at their own institutions.

Year-end vacation is scheduled from Dec. 1 to 31, 2020 for public schools, added the same source."
What does that have to do with bars?
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:40 pm Good
Yes
Plenty
Come on man. It was a friendly enquiry. No need to be rude.

Sorry OP, to be more specific:

Chuggin' along.
Some.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

jah steu wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:03 pm Many hostess bars changed their business licences from bar to restaurant, removed all signage referring to bars, and printed food menus, all as recommended by the local songkat if they wanted to re-open, several months ago.
But this same songkat, and the kahn, then said “no you can’t open - everyone knows you are really a bar with ladies”. I think they were leaned on by their bosses higher up the ladder.

There are plenty of restaurant/bars currently open are effectively just bars with no "ladies" and just the occasional meal.

When do you think the restart will begin? If the vaccines work, perhaps by August\September?
My two cents: they won't open the bars before the schools have been opened. Schools will open October first for the new school year.
Not for 2c, they won't!
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

mcam wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:26 am Year-end vacation is scheduled from Dec. 1 to 31, 2020 for public schools, added the same source."
Since it's 2021 already this must be correct, right?

The exams for grade 9 and 12 have been delayed, reason: covid. It is possible they delayed the end of the school year in 2021 because no one has had any decent education since Feb 2021 (not even talking about the situation in 2020), but I have not yet seen an official statement from MoEYS about that. The normal situation is a schoolyear from Oct - Sept.

This school year started on Oct. 1st 2020, not on Jan 1st 2021. Some private schools in Phonm Penh, and maybe some outside of Phnom Penh, excepted.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:56 am

Not for 2c, they won't!
If they don't open the schools for the next school year quite a lot of private schools will run in financial trouble I think. Who's going to pay full tuition fees to have their kids watch a tablet all day?

Not even talking about the education gap for the current generation youngsters.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

I doubt private schools have the funding to even pay most teachers 25% of their salary come October

Not to mention why would parents even trust paying tuition fees if schools will probably close 1 or 2 months after reopening
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic