RCAF Driver Escapes After Fatal Accident

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: RCAF Driver Escapes After Fatal Accident

Post by FrankReynolds »

Jerry Atrick wrote:A common driving tactic employed by rural motorcycle riders

1, be driving on rhs of road

2, want to turn left

3, slowly move to the extreme rhs of the road

4, make spakka type head movements without actually checking the road behind

5, abruptly turn at 90 degrees across both lanes at a rate of speed

6, if turn is negotiated without error then, and only then, glance to see if anything was coming from behind, after all
That's quite accurate.
The whole maneuver to the rhs in order to turn left, is one that boils my blood.

The other thing I notice, both in the city and the countryside, is that khmers will u turn anywhere, at the inconvenience of everybody else. They'd rather risk the lives of 30 people, than drive on to the next side street, and find a place to turn around safely. I suppose they don't learn 3 point turns when buying a car license, or culturally they can't cope with continuing in the wrong direction for 100m in order to make a safer turn.

*I'm not oblivious to the fact that I would not be aware of the drivers who *do* take the next side street or drive onwards in order to turn around safely rather than u turn on the spot, as it's only the dangerous drivers that stand out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic