Expect indifference and fallacies from the institutions that we have the misfortune to deal with

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Expect indifference and fallacies from the institutions that we have the misfortune to deal with

Post by John Bingham »

BillDoe wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:09 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:02 pm Why anyone would want to return to the UK to live after leaving is a mystery.
Probably because he doesn't (completely understand, it's insane) want to pay almost 100k a year for schooling that's on the same level as public schools in the US, maybe even worse.
100k? What are you on about?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Re: Expect indifference and fallacies from the institutions that we have the misfortune to deal with

Post by BillDoe »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:02 pm Why anyone would want to return to the UK to live after leaving is a mystery.
Probably because he doesn't (completely understand, it's insane) want to pay almost 100k a year for schooling that's on the same level as public schools in the US, maybe even worse.
Sorry, I assumed it was 40k a semester for Northbridge

It's only a measly total of 200-300k if you send your child there for 12 years.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

BillDoe wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:21 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:31 pm
Sorry, I assumed it was 40k a semester for Northbridge

It's only a measly total of 200-300k if you send your child there for 12 years.
I don't see how you could compare Northbridge with a US public school, but anyway he's not going to live in the US, he's going to the UK. As far as I know because I didn't go to school there, UK state schools are called comprehensives and private schools are called Public Schools. Some comprehensives are awful, depending on where you live. Public Schools can be very expensive. There are also state Grammar Schools for more gifted students.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:14 am
BillDoe wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:12 am Wouldn't it of been easier to get your son's passport in person at the embassy? Or were your stays not long enough? The American embassy took 2-3? Trips
UK Embassies don't do passports or visas
No, they don’t. But the passport application involves the embassy, and there are procedures appropriate to where the applicant resides.

Paraphrasing a bit-
If overseas, then it is an overseas application. The embassy are part of the process.
If the child is in the UK, then it is handled solely by the passport office in the UK.
To get the child into the UK, one needs a visa for the child because the child is not a UK passport holder. The visa process is also a bit laborious, and the embassy are involved in the visa process, too.

I know this, because I was in this process when the Chinese global gift of COVID wrecked my efforts. Embassy’s being effectively difficult to access at the best of times, or off limits to joe bloggs & family, especially if joe bloggs is stranded in a different country to family.

Ironically, I’ve had an easier time accessing the US embassy in UK than I have the UK embassy(S) abroad when needed.
If I didn’t know better, I’d think they didn’t like visitors.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic