Back Home & Adjusting : how are you ?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Back Home & Adjusting : how are you ?

Post by Ghostwriter »

Now you're BACK HOME, what changed for you and how are you adjusting ?
How asia changed you ?
How is your entourage responding to that ?

I was slightly bold already when i left my country for asia, but 13 years after i came back bolder with stronger self-confidence (no, not the one from the magic powder, thanks), and less care about protocols and "civilized manners of interacting" . I didn't became a cunt (as far as i can tell), but i shortcut the shit of everything, and when new in a team, i quickly put my limits around me and manage to get troublemakers to go fuck themselves just by taking their bullshit as alledged face-value and swiftly confront their contradictions until they back off. Also, i don't care about the consequences, social or else.

I was a factory manager, so, management and pro-active action to get the bullshit out of the production way + enquiries with not-telling-much people is pretty much the job.
So it does make sense for me, as an evolution. Although i'm less interested by the use of the needed strenghts from that previous experience of mine, my personality has shifted to more of it, want it or not.

It can create unneeded conflictual situations, but i'm fine with it.

I just went to a neighboring night project (the covering of a new turnaround with asphalt) just 200m of my house, just to make them stop the annoying klaxon that beeps every 30 fucking seconds, for coordination purpose beetween the truck of asphalt and the spreading machine. Now they use light signal instead of sonore signal, and i can sleep as well as the neighborhood since the driver shutted the fuck up. The guy was younger than me, and a bit paler when i left. I didn't even thought of NOT doing it. I believe it was just reasonable thinking and pragmatic decision-making. Or not ?

Also it's like i came back with the same age perception of myself as when i left. But upgraded somehow. Although it was physical and i'm more tired now, i'm even more energic when needed, and quieter the other times. So...a bit more extreme somehow.

Now that's a collateral effect with benefits for me on this one, but do you cope with some similar or related experience / feelings ?
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Back Home & Adjusting : how are you ?

Post by Random Dude »

After being back home for a few years I've realised I prefer Asia. I told a couple of friends here I was thinking about heading back overseas and got the expected comments about human rights, unsanitary conditions, standard of living, they all eat dog over there etc, and lectured to about how I'm much better off living in a 1st world country.
They're not 'wrong' but they've also never been anywhere other than maybe a 10 day package deal holiday to Fiji once, I can't even be bothered trying to explain something I barely understand myself to people who will never get it.

Asia changed me for the better IMO and I'm finding I have nothing in common with people I knew here before I left, I actually really dislike a few of them now.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Reverse culture shock is worse than culture shock for me.

I remember coming back from my first year-long stint abroad all full of stories, and learning very quickly that nobody gives a fuck, and things that haven’t changed are depressing, and things that have changed are also depressing. Ended up moving to a different town just to escape the sense of my life going in reverse.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:17 am Reverse culture shock is worse than culture shock for me.

I remember coming back from my first year-long stint abroad all full of stories, and learning very quickly that nobody gives a fuck, and things that haven’t changed are depressing, and things that have changed are also depressing. Ended up moving to a different town just to escape the sense of my life going in reverse.
I found the first return after 1 year over here was the worst. I had lost weight, had a great tan and was full of happiness and contentment. My trip was scheduled for 3 months. It lasted 3 weeks.

People were envious of any form of life improvement from their unchanging lives and had little interest in hearing about anything. Not close friends, but the day top day acquaintances. I found out later that all were convinced I wouldn't last 3 months over here.

I just spent time with those who were important to me, did my shopping and ignored the rest of them. I hadn't missed them or the pub in the least, so why pretend.

Return visits are now limited to 3 weeks and last year I hadn't planned to return at all but ended up there. This year I did, but am still here with no intention of now returning until next year at the earliest.

I shudder with the thought of going back and living there.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:17 am and learning very quickly that nobody gives a fuck
Yup. After years in Japan, I went back to the US for six months. Talking about my experiences in Japan to my American friends made me realize that I might as well as be speaking Japanese for all they understood or cared.

Came back in 2009 and stayed.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:27 am I was a factory manager..
Now i get it, Ghost.
Now i understand why Cambodia sent you mad and you vow to never come back ever ever again.

Cambodia would not be a life-enhancing location for anyone of that profession.
Just look at all those Chinese factory managers here - leaping off tall buildings or throwing themselves into the sea, en-mass.
The special pressures of being a factory manager in Cambodia.

Lucky you got out when you did.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Chatting to a friend on email who went back six months ago after 15 years here. He lasted one month in the UK (truck driving) and said the road system and life as a trucker is awful.
Whilst he earns reasonable money (£45k) the hours were long and he hated it.

On his week off he visited a Swedish friend who works way up north on the mines trucking. He rid with him for a week and loved it. He’s now moved to Sweden and is earning $80k and says it’s like night and day.
Winters will be severe but the roads and facilities are probably the best in the world.
His other friend does the same in Norway and is on $100k.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic