20Yo Woman Dies in Tuktuk, Refused Entry to Hospitals

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
ali baba
Expatriate

Re: 20Yo Woman Dies in Tuktuk, Refused Entry to Hospitals

Post by ali baba »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:51 pm If Khmer Soviet Hospital has all its beds full and another 50 people waiting what are they supposed to do? Accept the patient then leave them in an 8 hour queue?
They use a system called triage to prioritise care based on the urgency of the patient's condition. That's why it takes hours to treat a minor injury- people with heart attacks and strokes get to jump the queue.

Remember when a drunk tourist jumped into the pool at Utopia in Sinville when it didn't have any water in it? Ambulance came and took him away, hospital said he was DOA and refused responsibility so they took him back and tried to unload him onto the bar.
Scarier than malaria.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fair enough, maybe it's more to do with them freaking out because of COVID then..
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

ali baba wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:08 pm
John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:51 pm If Khmer Soviet Hospital has all its beds full and another 50 people waiting what are they supposed to do? Accept the patient then leave them in an 8 hour queue?
They use a system called triage to prioritise care based on the urgency of the patient's condition. That's why it takes hours to treat a minor injury- people with heart attacks and strokes get to jump the queue.

Remember when a drunk tourist jumped into the pool at Utopia in Sinville when it didn't have any water in it? Ambulance came and took him away, hospital said he was DOA and refused responsibility so they took him back and tried to unload him onto the bar.
There are various triage protocols and often four categories are used.Patients are often tagged Black where chances of saving the life are unlikely and intervention is not attempted as it would jepordise those tagged Red who need immediate care. Then there are those tagged Yellow whose treatment can be delayed and Green who have minor injuries.

I am surprised the victim was declined by the Khmer-Soviet hospital, but may have decided her chances of survival was minimal and tagged her as "black" as in your extract above where the hospital refused entry because the victim was DOA. However Calmette hospital accepted her, but unfortunately, she had already passed away.

I would recommend that anyone who is poor and in need of medical attention make Calmette their first port of call.

Edit: I see its not the first time Khmer-Soviet Hospital have refused patients, I must be a little behind the times! topic45159.html
Ano63
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Ano63 »

Terrible death :sorry:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Kuroneko wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:38 pm
ali baba wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:08 pm

There are various triage protocols and often four categories are used.Patients are often tagged Black where chances of saving the life are unlikely and intervention is not attempted as it would jepordise those tagged Red who need immediate care. Then there are those tagged Yellow whose treatment can be delayed and Green who have minor injuries.

I am surprised the victim was declined by the Khmer-Soviet hospital, but may have decided her chances of survival was minimal and tagged her as "black" as in your extract above where the hospital refused entry because the victim was DOA. However Calmette hospital accepted her, but unfortunately, she had already passed away.

I would recommend that anyone who is poor and in need of medical attention make Calmette their first port of call.

Edit: I see its not the first time Khmer-Soviet Hospital have refused patients, I must be a little behind the times! topic45159.html
Triage with 4 categories. I do remember the Utopia incident. Must be nearly 10 years ago. He was laid out and they took photos. I was horrified at my first experience of this practice.
This is another very sad passing, a head-shaker.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Methanol and Sting. Mmmmmm
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic