7 heaven. Where in the world (would you visit)?

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: 7 heaven. Where in the world (would you visit)?

Post by AndyKK »

India - Rajasthan, for the desert and its cool lakes, Mogul architecture, food, not forgetting the natural artwork.
Himachal Pradesh, Manali high-altitude Himalayan resort town for its view of the mountains, and its solitude at times being amongst them.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Freightdog wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:31 am Lakes region of Africa (Nearly had a job out of Rhodesia* a few years back.)
Tanzania (when I was very young, these were still being referred to by family members as Zanzibar* and Tanganyika*
Namibia

Someone else is funding my travel, and there is more community, even for a bit of a solitary** person like me.

*old names hang around for a while until those generations are gone.
**probably because I'm not so PC. I'd likely get shown the door in a few places, too.
How about South West Africa deserts, Siam for the beaches, Cochin for the women, Dutch Weat Indies spices gathering and Britannia forests.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Mr.November wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:53 am A great list!
Southern China, Kunming region
Tibet
Bhutan
Mongolia
South East of USA - Miami, to Memphis
Kazakhstan and surrounding countries.
Indonesia - Mentawai Islands, South West of Sumatra
I agree with Tibet and Kazakhstan! I lived in Mongolia for almost 3 years, it's wow, but nothing comparing to Tibet. The places you want to visit are actually on the fringes of Tibet in western Sichuan, north western Yunnan and southern Qinghai. I visited numerous times and nothing came close to those experiences. Those are the places you must go.

Simply the most spiritual areas in the world. Harsh mountain wilderness, lovely locals, landscapes out of this world, monasteries, chants - some treks left me in tears, self discovery, and some amazing experiences like staying with a friend monk in his family house, from which this photo below was taken. If you need any tips for any of those places, get in touch. I have multiple videos, done treks, rode bicycle through the Tibetan plateau and did a motorbike trip through Western Sichuan.

Skip Kunming (much better venture north, Lijiang -> Shangrli La -> Yubeng etc), skip Bhutan (only can get there on an expensive tour) and skip Tibet proper (also tour only).

And in Mongolia - I worked and bought 4 apartments, which I rent with 25% yield.

Great advice for what I want to do. I'll definitely venture north of Kunming like you suggested. I've read a lot about that region. I'm not put off by price when it comes to traveling to Bhutan - it's such an unknown to the western world. I'll definitely be seeking tips and advice from you Mr November nearer the time.

I don't know about you, but I've got four kids and they'll be coming with me I hope. The experience and learning for them will be immense.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Bhutan (philosophy of life)
Botswana (nature)
Chile (wine)
Iran (nicest people on earth)
NZ and OZ (nature, wine)
Any Pacific island (coconuts :) )
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Tommie
Expatriate
Norway

Post by Tommie »

Christchurch
Longyearbyen
Burma
Rapa nui
Papeete
Isla Santa Cruz
Cabo Verde
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

Always dreamt of Timbuktu, but by the time I got to where I could go Mali descended into madness. I’m pretty ballsy but I like being alive so...yeah.
Jordan (Petra)
India
Bhutan
Nepal
Egypt
Morocco

All eminently possible and probable once covid clears, except blasted Mali.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic