Is anyone coming from Australia soon?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Is anyone coming from Australia soon?

Post by rozzieoz »

I need to get my bank keycard and I don't trust the mail.
Is anyone coming over from Australia in the near future?
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Is anyone coming from Australia soon?

Post by timmydownawell »

If you don't find someone, Aus Post has finally resumed service to Cambodia. If you send c/o Phnom Penh PO with your phone number clearly marked, via registered or tracked, you should get it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

As Timmy said and I might that add that DHL is quick and reliable. I've received 2 parcels from Australia and sent 2 back there and never had an issue and they all took about a week. That's if you don't find someone or need it quickly. But it is expensive.

I ordered some items from AliExpress over 3 weeks ago and on tracking it's coming up as having arrived in Cambodia and marked 'Unsuccessful item delivery attempt (Inb), Reason : Other, Measure : Scheduled for further action/processing today' last Thursday despite us being at home and have received no phone call...yet. We went to the post office today and they couldn't find the parcel in their system so they said to wait for a phone call. Anyway, I have a dispute for refund going with AliExpress as I asked and paid extra for DHL shipping but the seller just sent it as normal shipping.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:26 pm If you don't find someone, Aus Post has finally resumed service to Cambodia. If you send c/o Phnom Penh PO with your phone number clearly marked, via registered or tracked, you should get it.
Assuming you have someone to send it for you. It used to be the case they wouldn't send overseas. Forwarded mail? Regardless, it doesn't solved the anti-mail issue. How would that work, anyway? You would have the card sent to them? Whomever collects your mail tells you the PIN? I would trust certified mail - DHL - more than "Cardinal Conniver" for reliable delivery. Worked with my passport, twice.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:26 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:26 pm If you don't find someone, Aus Post has finally resumed service to Cambodia. If you send c/o Phnom Penh PO with your phone number clearly marked, via registered or tracked, you should get it.
Assuming you have someone to send it for you. It used to be the case they wouldn't send overseas. Forwarded mail? Regardless, it doesn't solved the anti-mail issue. How would that work, anyway? You would have the card sent to them? Whomever collects your mail tells you the PIN? I would trust certified mail - DHL - more than "Cardinal Conniver" for reliable delivery. Worked with my passport, twice.
Well last time I did this (admittedly pre-Covid) my sister in Melbourne sent the card via an international AusPost satchel. It cost AU $35 but she sent it on a Friday and it was at the PO in PP awaiting my signature on the Monday morning - not that you'd get anything that fast now. That said, Australian banks will send your cards internationally but I doubt they'd send registered/signature required etc. I never got my last card because there was no mail service for more than a year, but instead I send money via SWIFT from my Australian account to ABA. Who needs the card?
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Don't think many will be travelling,

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57661144
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm That said, Australian banks will send your cards internationally but I doubt they'd send registered/signature required etc. I never got my last card because there was no mail service for more than a year, but instead I send money via SWIFT from my Australian account to ABA. Who needs the card?
My experience:

CBA- Australian address only
uBank- Australian address only
Citibank- yes, via DHL (initially said no but after hassling)
28 degrees (Latitude)- yes, DHL (NB this is credit rather than debit card)
Macquarie- will find out later this year when my debit card expires

By the way, as far as ATM withdrawals with Aussie debit cards are concerned, I've found the best is Bred Bank coz they let me withdraw up to $US1500 a day with $US4 ATM fee. To improve on that via swift transfers (I use Worldfirst to Acleda for low fees) I worked out I had to do larger transfers of approx $US6K+ at a time to make it worthwhile.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:18 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:44 pm That said, Australian banks will send your cards internationally but I doubt they'd send registered/signature required etc. I never got my last card because there was no mail service for more than a year, but instead I send money via SWIFT from my Australian account to ABA. Who needs the card?
My experience:

CBA- Australian address only
uBank- Australian address only
Citibank- yes, via DHL (initially said no but after hassling)
28 degrees (Latitude)- yes, DHL (NB this is credit rather than debit card)
Macquarie- will find out later this year when my debit card expires

By the way, as far as ATM withdrawals with Aussie debit cards are concerned, I've found the best is Bred Bank coz they let me withdraw up to $US1500 a day with $US4 ATM fee. To improve on that via swift transfers (I use Worldfirst to Acleda for low fees) I worked out I had to do larger transfers of approx $US6K+ at a time to make it worthwhile.
Citibank and HSBC both said they could send cards internationally, but were thwarted by Aus Post suspending their services. I didn't push for DHL as Citibank has no fees for international transfers (although that may change soon as Citibank is selling its Australian and Asian subsidiaries).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic