Homeless Drug Addict Leaps From Flyover and Gets Run Over

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Homeless Drug Addict Leaps From Flyover and Gets Run Over

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): In a series of unhappy cirumstances, at 11:00am on June 25, 2021, a homeless and drug addicted man jumped off the 7Makara flyover bridge, landed on the road below with some injuries, and then got his legs run over by a Toyota Land Cruiser (Phnom Penh BD-7883).
Fortunately, the unidentified man survived these incidents that occurred at the corner of Street 289 and Russian Federal Blv. in Sangkat Phsar Depo 3, Khan Toul Kork, Phnom Penh.

According to the witnesses, nobody knew the victim's intention before the man was seen jumping off the flyover, but they called for help from the nearby police when the man jumped, and the ambulance was on the way. Unfortunately, in the meantime, a car approaching Street 289 did not notice the victim lying on the street and the driver ran over his legs by accident.
The victim was then rescued and sent to Preah Kosamak hospital, where he was rejected by the medical staff, and therefore, the victim was sent on to a private hospital called Song Kar.
The man driving the car who ran over the victim was detained by police for further investigation.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Homeless Drug Addict Leaps From Flyover and Gets Run Over

Post by The Judge »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:39 am Image
Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): In a series of unhappy cirumstances, at 11:00am on June 25, 2021, a homeless and drug addicted man jumped off the 7Makara flyover bridge, landed on the road below with some injuries, and then got his legs run over by a Toyota Land Cruiser (Phnom Penh BD-7883).
Fortunately, the unidentified man survived these incidents that occurred at the corner of Street 289 and Russian Federal Blv. in Sangkat Phsar Depo 3, Khan Toul Kork, Phnom Penh.

According to the witnesses, nobody knew the victim's intention before the man was seen jumping off the flyover, but they called for help from the nearby police when the man jumped, and the ambulance was on the way. Unfortunately, in the meantime, a car approaching Street 289 did not notice the victim lying on the street and the driver ran over his legs by accident.
The victim was then rescued and sent to Preah Kosamak hospital, where he was rejected by the medical staff, and therefore, the victim was sent on to a private hospital called Song Kar.
The man driving the car who ran over the victim was detained by police for further investigation.
Happy endings don't just occur at massage shops.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I'm not sure that's a happy ending - thinking the guy probably broke his legs in the fall, only for some idiot probably looking at their phone to run over his legs again just for good measure.

I'm actuallly hoping it was just too sudden for the car to stop in time, but I just have a vision of a typical Cambodian driver, completely oblvious to a guy writhing in pain in the road & ran him over again in slo-mo before saying "Sorry pukmaak, my car just hit something, I'll call you back!" Ouch.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
velvet_thunder
Expatriate

Post by velvet_thunder »

I saw one guy the day before around 8am at the next bridge. Like he was going to climb over the bridge at the end of kampuchea krahom but some people were there talking to him/dissuading him. Not sure it was the same guy though
Last edited by velvet_thunder on Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:51 pm I'm not sure that's a happy ending - thinking the guy probably broke his legs in the fall, only for some idiot probably looking at their phone to run over his legs again just for good measure.

I'm actuallly hoping it was just too sudden for the car to stop in time, but I just have a vision of a typical Cambodian driver, completely oblvious to a guy writhing in pain in the road & ran him over again in slo-mo before saying "Sorry pukmaak, my car just hit something, I'll call you back!" Ouch.
I'd say it's about as far from being a happy ending as it gets. Now he's a homeless drug addict with a couple of newly broken legs to worry about, his situation isn't improving.I hope it wasn't a suicide attempt gone wrong, if he was suicidal before he'd even more so now.
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

He was rejected by a public hospital, yet a private one accepted him? Who will pay?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Mr.November wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:45 pm He was rejected by a public hospital, yet a private one accepted him? Who will pay?
At a guess...
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:39 am The man driving the car who ran over the victim was detained by police for further investigation.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Is anyone familiar with this location? What was the approximate height of the bridge he jumped off? It's possible that he broke his legs upon landing and couldn't get up to get out of the road, isn't it?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The Judge wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:55 pm Is anyone familiar with this location? What was the approximate height of the bridge he jumped off? It's possible that he broke his legs upon landing and couldn't get up to get out of the road, isn't it?
Yeah, it's an overpass that's about 8 meters high or more. It's certainly possible that he just fell in front of a moving vehicle below.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic