RIP john McAfee

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

RIP john McAfee

Post by phuketrichard »

not ur usual tech giant and certainly made waves in the industry
still....
John McAfee, the controversial antivirus software magnate who'd had multiple recent run-ins with the US law, has died at 75. McAfee was awaiting extradition in a Spanish prison after being charged with tax evasion in the United States last year.

McAfee was found dead in his cell in a prison near Barcelona on Wednesday around 1 p.m. ET and a medical examiner is on the scene, a spokeswoman for the Superior Court of Catalonia told CNN. She said the cause of death is under investigation.

A statement from the Catalonia regional government Justice Department, which manages prisons there, said that prison medical personnel and guards attempted to perform life-saving procedures after finding McAfee, but were unsuccessful. The statement said "everything indicates" that McAfee could have died by suicide.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: RIP john McAfee

Post by crob »

dude lived a pretty crazy life
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

A bit of a resemblance to Al Pacino in that photo.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I watched some of his videos. I couldn’t work out if it if it was satire or he was just utterly nuts.
People of the world, spice up your life.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I wouldn't pass judgment on the man himself, but his software became the bane of every computer geeks life. There was a time when you couldn't buy a new computer / laptop without having it pre-installed and often impossible to get rid of. It still happens now - Adobe Acrobat (the PDF app) is a good example of the top of my head. Unless you read every bit of text and uncheck every box before you download it, you're computer is so infested with McAfee crap it's difficult to distinguish it from the viruses it's supposed to protect you from.

I would never go near the junk software, just because of the incredibly aggressive marketing tactics it employed.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Wasn’t there any hoo haa about competition, like when MS preinstalled Internet Explorer?
People of the world, spice up your life.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

@mannanman re: lawsuits against Mcafee

It looks like McAfee was not sued for anti trust- at least not in a big way like Microsoft was in that famous case. McAfee was sued for plenty of other stuff though and he was accused of a murder and it's really mind boggling, this guy and his life and now death....I always un install it too and it is a sticky bit of code. Have to say the man I am reading and hearing about had some cajones and a strong will. RIP John McAfee.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Saddening news. What an exciting life, what a character!

RIP John, endless streams of coke and Caribbean virgins to you in the afterlife.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

RIP, you crazy bastard.
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

Of course you guys would be sadden by a pedophiles passing