Dodgy job offer in Sihanoukville

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Dodgy job offer in Sihanoukville

Post by mannanman »

So me and a couple of mates got offered work as “Customer service representatives” for a big “blue chip” company in Otres.
$800 to $1000 a month plus all food and accommodation. :beer3:

They wanted native English speakers but it’s for a Chinese company and they wouldn’t say who it’s for as “It’s to protect their security” etc.
The guys pushing it are Singaporean and any basic questions were not answered or they waffled on about “data protection” etc.

The clincher is that you have to stay in their complex for six months and they keep your passport, citing COVID as a reason. You can’t even leave on your days off. They wouldn’t even let us drive down saying they’ll organise all transport. :ROFL:

Sounds like some boiler room scam to me.
I’ve also seen the same advert on a few FB groups but they’ve all been taken down.

Just a heads up. Avoid like the plague.
People of the world, spice up your life.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Dodgy job offer in Sihanoukville

Post by nemo »

spinach farm
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Illegal for an employer to withhold an employees passport, steer well clear.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

:thumb: @OP Good heads up. Other expats in dire straits might not be thinking so straight. Looks like an "out of the frying pan..." situation.
(Never surrender your passport - do I need to say this ?)
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Of all the scams out there I think this type is one of the most inhumane, barbaric, and despicable. At least when you get scammed out of money by a fake investment firm or a phone scammer you're free to make more money however you want, but what you're describing is modern slavery.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Perhaps the OP could advise who contacted him and his mates, & how, to offer them these jobs
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You can possibly leave the complex from the 9th floor balcony
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 pm So me and a couple of mates got offered work as “Customer service representatives” for a big “blue chip” company in Otres.

They wanted native English speakers but it’s for a Chinese company and they wouldn’t say who it’s for as “It’s to protect their security” etc.
The guys pushing it are Singaporean and any basic questions were not answered or they waffled on about “data protection” etc.

The clincher is that you have to stay in their complex for six months and they keep your passport, citing COVID as a reason. You can’t even leave on your days off. They wouldn’t even let us drive down saying they’ll organise all transport. :ROFL:

I’ve also seen the same advert on a few FB groups but they’ve all been taken down.

Please give me their phone number, send it as a pm. I want to flesh this out and pretend interest in a job. I'll not be an easy mark for them.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I too would like to hear what they say but, by the sounds of things, they give you nothing. They would have been better off befriending a native English speaker to recruit. Could be a honeypot to lure unsavouries, but too taciturn. The type of person they do employ probably hasn't got a passport, or is one of the Brady Bunch.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

The Judge wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:33 am
mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:09 pm So me and a couple of mates got offered work as “Customer service representatives” for a big “blue chip” company in Otres.

Please give me their phone number, send it as a pm. I want to flesh this out and pretend interest in a job. I'll not be an easy mark for them.
Pm sent
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic