Covid Detected After Maskless Revels at Expat Bar 'La Petanque'

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Covid Detected After Maskless Revels at Expat Bar 'Le Petanque'

Post by Anchor Moy »

@AndyKK ^^ I don't know Andy, but from news reports, I got the idea that covid tests are done on the population, and then if you're positive, they trace you back to places that you've visited while possibly infectious, and then they warn everyone else a week or two later to watch out for symptoms if they were in the same place as you at the same time.
For example - I think in this case that the "infectious people" visited the French bar on 12 June, which would have given anyone who was infected plenty of time to share the love since then. (And btw, no one said it was expats that were infected.)

That's how I understand it anyway, but :shrug:
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

nemo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:41 pm France has a high degree of vaccine hesitancy. Reportedly some ( many? ), believe it is a depopulation conspiracy AND believe it is a hoax at the same time.
65% for the vaccine
20% don't want it (yet)
and i guess 15 % are saying "whatever", but in French.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:14 pm @AndyKK ^^ I don't know Andy, but from news reports, I got the idea that covid tests are done on the population, and then if you're positive, they trace you back to places that you've visited while possibly infectious, and then they warn everyone else a week or two later to watch out for symptoms if they were in the same place as you at the same time.
For example - I think in this case that the "infectious people" visited the French bar on 12 June, which would have given anyone who was infected plenty of time to share the love since then. (And btw, no one said it was expats that were infected.)

That's how I understand it anyway, but :shrug:
I am on the same thinking of yourself, it does seem like a kind of Scarborough warning to some extent, but then again rightly so, for there does not want to be a re-run of the 20th.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

"Hello brother,
is Whatever translated into French as tout ce que?
cheers"

Whatever (in this context) would be translated as "peu importe".
In another context, "n'ímporte quoi" would be correct.
"tout ce que / tu as"= all / you got
Tout ce que (with nothing following) makes no sense yet, until you add something.

I'm nobody's brother.
And the title should read LA Petanque, not LE petanque, it's feminine. Yeah, iron balls games are feminine in our land...
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

@ghostwriter
did this hit you as a post?
I sent a pm and made some guesses in French when I rated your post re: the English slang usage of "whatever"

as to
"I'm nobody's brother."
brother, bro... better than "cuz"
is Lord or Sir Ghostwriter ok? Maybe Esquire...?
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Covid Detected After Maskless Revels at Expat Bar 'La Petanque'

Post by atst »

If you're tested positive how can you go out, I thought you were locked up in some make believe hospital. If you do know your positive and you go out partying , where's the firing squad?
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic