Statute of limitations

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: statue of limitations

Post by newkidontheblock »

annejanes wrote:
epidemiks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 pm Yes Cambodia has a statute of limitations under the civil code - 5 years. IANAL, but afaik it does not have anything bearing on how long someone can be held without trial.
yes. I meant in cambodia. guess 5 years could be it. Can be held for 6 months without a trail but they are holding the opposition and environmental protesters longer because...
In Cambodia, especially in touchy subjects such as the opposition and the environment, forget what is written in the law. Judges need to feel the political wind and make a correct ruling or else. The people in prison will be held until the power in charge decides to make an example of them. Or release them as a gesture of good will.

Even a famous food video blogger on TV got sent to prison for flying a drone. He ‘admitted’ that it was all his mistake and prison was completely deserved. Then continued to praise Cambodia.

Sorry. Please stay safe out there.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

annejanes wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:01 am
epidemiks wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:52 pm Yes Cambodia has a statute of limitations under the civil code - 5 years. IANAL, but afaik it does not have anything bearing on how long someone can be held without trial.
yes. I meant in cambodia. guess 5 years could be it. Can be held for 6 months without a trail but they are holding the opposition and environmental protesters longer because...
Umm no, AFAIK (from reading "News" and news online), holding people in custody/pretrial detention means whatever the judges want it to be. I don't have any special legal knowledge, but I have noticed that while some people get quick trials, others go to court and get sent for a later retrial because of xyz. This can go on for as long as ... a piece of string.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:31 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:01 pm
mannanman wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:08 pm It’s Statute not statue and depends on the offence and many other factors, and only applies to the USA I believe.

Are you from Florida?
Thailand has a statute of limitations too, I'd imagine many countries do.
I was thinking other countries do but western? Does Australia,England Europe?
Yes, all of those countries (continents) and many others have a statute of limitations except for usually murder, child sexual abuse, etc. But it is my understanding for most of them that the date limitations are specific to the date that they are charged, not the trial date or conviction date.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Re: Statute of limitations

Post by daeum_tnaot »

The OP's question is not for statute of limitations, but rather the legally mandated period for a person to have a trial after arrest.

AFAIK, they must be charged within 48 hours, and they must have their trial within 6 months. As others have noted rule of law is weak in Cambodia so these rules are often not followed and I'm not aware of any consequence if they are not.

You can probably find this in the law on criminal procedure which is no doubt available in English on the internet.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Ghostwriter wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:31 am Image
That’s a bust…..so limited…?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic