Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

Post by Big Daikon »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:03 pm
Username Taken wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:53 am Perhaps Alyssa could portray a totally different image of herself by posting Instagram photos of her looking professional sitting at a desk in an office, rather than sitting on an unmade bed. :facepalm:

Am I victim-blaming, or is she just playing the #metoo game?

https://www.instagram.com/alyssahowritings/?hl=en
Any chance you could post the photo? I don't have Instagram and can't see the photo.
Here you go, bro!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Viet/Aussie woman says she's been consistently fetishised over her race since her teens

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:23 am 1. Posts sexy pics.
2. Complains of men harassing her.

3. Writing career.
In a not too dissimilar instance, there's a bit of a fuss going on on a FB expat forum where a woman who posted with a general query had to edit her post asking men to stop sending friend requests and unrelated messages. Turns out she has a sexy pic for her FB profile..

And another woman commented that men should stop using FB as a way to pick up women.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

When does a preference cross the line into a fetish?

Some guys prefer brunettes............some like chicks with big asses............some guys like black chicks...........

Who are the next "victims" going to be in this backassward woke culture? Blondes? Tall chicks? Midget chicks?

Who is next in line to be a woe is me victim?

Sometimes I think the Earth is over due for another cataclysmic asteroid..........time to wipe the slate clean and start over.

I highly doubt that this woman was "consistently fetishised" .

I'm sure she heard the odd ignorant comment over her lifetime but it's natural for humans to be intrigued and attracted by different races and ethnicities.

That's how our genetics advances.

It's been going on since time immemorial.

1 to 4 % of modern human genomes were contributed from Neanderthals way back when.........so we've been attracted to differences for as long as humans have existed.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

It's interesting isn't it (by chance?) that the Sydney Morning Herald has now followed up just 4 days later with an article about the Bumble app's US founder..

It's a long read..so I've included only some excerpts below.

The question about men that made this woman a billionaire

At 17, she asked herself, “Why are men always in control in relationships?” At 31, Whitney Wolfe Herd, founder of the woman-focused dating app Bumble, is the world’s youngest female self-made billionaire.

Wolfe Herd, then 27 and undeniably impressive – polished, passionate, articulate, driven – had founded the dating app that forces women to make the first move just two-and-a-half years earlier.

“It’s hard for women to get capital, because we are held to impossibly high standards,” says Wolfe Herd. “Men are applauded for being big, wild thinkers, while women are given very strict guidelines not to be too out there, to be measured and reserved. It’s hard for us even to be convicted in ourselves for fear of being labelled as self-obsessed or arrogant. I know because I have lived this.”

Even Wolfe Herd’s success is disparaged by some, her achievements belittled because of her partnership with Badoo, the social network behemoth owned by Russian businessman Andrey Andreev, who invested heavily in Bumble in its start-up phase. “Badoo also made investments in a lot of other businesses that you’ve never heard of and which don’t exist any more,” counters Wolfe Herd. “We were given very modest resources and it was not $US100 million as some people reported. The notion that I just had everything handed to me, that’s not the truth.”

For anyone who hasn’t been on the front lines of dating for a decade, Bumble works in a similar way to Tinder or Hinge – based on location and proximity, users swipe right for yes, left for no – but, crucially, women call the shots. Men cannot initiate a conversation (even if they swipe “yes”) and the female party has 24 hours to strike up a chat before the “match” expires. (In same-sex matches, both parties can initiate.) Although basic membership is free, users can upgrade to a premium plan for $44.99 a month or pay $79.99 for 30 “spotlights”, which sends their profile to the front of the queue that others will see when they swipe.

“It’s not a biological imperative that says men have to ask us out; it’s social conditioning. And the internet has been engineered to reflect gender norms in relationships. But we can change it,” says Wolfe Herd. “I cannot count how many times I have heard women say, ‘I would have never made the first move, but now I approach in real life, too. I’ll make the first move.’ ” She beams. “And they tell me, ‘It’s because Bumble has normalised that for me.’ Bumble has normalised making that first move, whether in person – seeing someone that you think is attractive or interesting – or elsewhere, like sending someone your CV.

Wolfe Herd with husband, Texan oil heir Michael Herd.

Full: https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-a ... 57q09.html
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Wolfe by name, wolf by nature
In May 2012, Justin Mateen's sister, Alexa, and her friend, Whitney Wolfe Herd, were interviewed and hired as field sales reps for Cardify .[14]

In August 2012, Matchbox was renamed to Tinder to match the logo, and soft launched in the App Store. Rad brought Justin Mateen onto Tinder as a contractor to lead the launch marketing. He lobbied for his sister and Wolfe to be hired to Tinder to help him as field marketers.[14] Tinder was then launched at numerous college campuses and quickly expanded to additional campuses, winning TechCrunch's Crunchie Award for "Best New Startup of 2013,"[19] with Cardify and Hatch Labs being abandoned and ceasing operations by that point.[14]

Mateen later became CMO,[14] his sister became Social Media Director, and he started dating Wolfe in late 2012, who was at some point, promoted to VP Marketing. She started using the co-founder title against company approval before quitting at a company party in April 2014 and filing a sexual harassment and discrimination lawsuit
She basically copied tinders playbook and did a simple rebrand for the female market, fair play, all from starting as a field sales rep and within an eight year time span.Both her and her jockey are billionaires independently
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic