news at the moment

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: news at the moment

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:17 pm
John Bingham wrote:
Ong Tay wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:34 am
Cameron_Newbe wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:20 pm Would be nice to read some original stories rather than copy/paste or translated articles without a source. Are there no budding writers about these days?
That "gavinmac" fellow or whatever he goes by here, used to write some interesting original content on TOF - he seems to have a lot of time on his hands, and it was good stuff too, IIRC.
He's hated here so don't say that or you'll be banned.
He could have been a great member of CEO. But he gave into his dark side. He just stirred things up for sake of causing chaos, attacking members, and coming back as socks (puppets) to continue making trouble.

The key word is USED TO. Something happened to him and he snapped for whatever reason. Hope he gets help and returns to sanity.
Indeed, and the last straw that broke the camel's back was when he accused a long time, respected member here of paedophilia without a shred of evidence. Then later, he just went feral with his socks and who couldn't forget sock trDavid with his cock and bull story thread 'Blind and traveling USA to Cambodia in two days!' about a blind guy coming to meet his bar girl GF with his dog 'Monty'. We must've killed nearly 30 of his socks since. He's toxic to this forum.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Cam Nivag made 2500+ posts here and most were funny and informative and he started great threads. Yet mods always treated him as an enemy because he was big on TOF.

I don't remember him accusing anyone of pedophilia.

A poster here used to post a lot about living with and traveling with and giving money to little girls, who he said were "family" but wasnt related to, and wasnt in a relationship with their mother. I recall that Cam Nivag commented that this seemed problematic but never accused anyone of pedophilia.

Because mods considered the guy a "respected member" they took great offense to CN the enemy reasonably questioning the odd living arrangement with little girls that the guy was often posting about.

He didnt get banned for that though it was for calling phuket richard a total idiot, which is something we should all be able to agree on.

[Admin Edit: No, CN was banned because he refused to stop trolling numerous members, after numerous warnings, nothing to do with his affiliate to Khmer440. And as already mentioned to you a few days ago by us, stop name-calling fellow members. Final warning, thanks.]
RoryR
Expatriate

Post by RoryR »

Great job.

I don’t recall Marty ever name calling fellow members but if you say he did it, I believe it.

We can’t have that here. It turns posters off.

This should be a safe space for all of us to use vulgarity and bash the Chinese and backpackers and meth addicts and anti-maskers and women without fear of reading any offensive jibes directed against ourselves.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This is what you get when you ask for feedback. Bickering.
I was hoping that posters would say what they like and don't like on the CEO news front. Thanks to whoever mentioned that they would like more business news; that has been noted. Anything else on people's wish list ? (No guarantees, but if you don't ask, you don't get.)

@RoryR CEO is a community forum, where the majority of members have said that trolls are not welcome, and they expect the mods to enforce that.
You seem to know a lot about what goes on here for a "newbie", but you must've missed the No Trolls sign on the way in. You don't walk into a bar and start insulting the staff, do you ? We try to keep things civil, that's all.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Whether it be newspapers, news channels, or news sub forums, I tend to skim read/listen to the first few lines/Paragraphs, if the headline grabs my attention. Sometimes, the headline is enough info to warrant a “not another one” and move on. I find my self close to saturation on bad news at present.

I’d be interested in the cultural stuff that I could directly enjoy- except it’s all quiet in many places, and comes with a criminal conviction in other parts of the world.
The general Khmer oriented news is useful; bad as it often is. As mentioned though, I frequently just skim read to get the gist. Some of the reporting is simply bad or bad translation, and takes several repeats of the less relevant facts before a rough idea of the story is formed.
Surprise, surprise, some aviation related stuff piques my interest. For two reasons. Firstly, vested interest (Boeing max/Sriwijaya). Second, some of the foil-hat intrigues that people postulate in response are good for a chuckle at times.

I’m not sure any media has a good balance of latest news, for reasons already mentioned by others. I hesitate to suggest having a news subsection, with Expat oriented news, and Everything else.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:50 pm
I’d be interested in the cultural stuff that I could directly enjoy- except it’s all quiet in many places.....
Well that's the elephant in the room. It's not at all particular to CEO News or any other source. Since I came here many years ago it was all very optimistic. The bad times were over and everything was on the up and up. That progress has slowed down to a halt for many. It's a strange time, but creativity and culture are going back in the back room for a while and survival is all that matters now for many. With the huge reductions of income for some sectors will come increasing desperation. This will be evidenced in more domestic violence and street crime. It's good that CEO News documents these events. Let's not all chill out like it's 2015 in Bassac Lane, be aware that things can go pear-shaped and you might end up targeted just because we are all easy targets. Take care out there and keep reporting the news no matter how grim. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

I appreciate the news content posted here - saves me from having to visit the PPP of Khmer Times sites. Business news is good, as are the crime reports. Yes, the latter can be a bit depressing, but personally I think it's good to know what's going on.

As for original content, I suppose all it takes is someone who is focused and enjoys writing/reporting to get off his duff and do it. Although, he probably needs to have thick skin to deal with the likely criticism he will receive from this group! :wink:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Stumbling blocks and stepping stones. I say enjoy in the daily struggle of life. The ability to achieve success is largely dependent on our ability to persevere through even the toughest adversity without giving up. ~"Some find opportunities in difficulty, pessimists find difficulty in opportunity".
It is also interesting to to see those that disappeared when I lost my cards and other adversities, now darken my doorstep. I had to seek out friends that were there for me during the tougher times. And, I am still paying them back, even though any financial debt has long since been met. Treats and meals are weekly events because reimbursement should always come with the interest deserved - usually, the lender breaks even with getting their money back, after enduring risk, and they are the ones that say thank you.
I agree Mr B, we are easy targets, and it is often the ones we help that will rip you. Once. Bite the hand that feeds you and you will lick the boot that kicks ya.
Am I the only one who sees commonality in certain "posters", seeming to be the same poster, possibly a restrictee returned under an alias or few? Or is it just me (not that it is)?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic