If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you move to and why?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.

If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you live and why?

Kampot
14%
Sihanoukville
9%
Siem Reap
9%
Phnom Penh
34%
Battambang
5%
Koh Rong
2%
Poipet
No votes
Kep
7%
Kratie
5%
(other)
16%

Total votes: 58
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: If you were an expat moving to Cambodia, where would you move to and why?

Post by atst »

Nowhere I would like to stay more than a few months, but maybe that's just my state of mind at the moment or just haven't found that right place
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Cambodia, as per plan. Ha. PP, because there is nowhere else, now that sihanoukville has been demolished. SR seems to be making the most of the down-time, so maybe that's the next spot
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Woody
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Woody »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm If I were a 'digital nomad' I would go Vietnam. It's going through an economic boom yet is cheaper to live in than Cambodia.
Not sure it is cheaper from my experience
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:19 pm
pissontheroof wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 pm
It’s just a filthy disgusting place …
I like it that way, keeps the riff raff out.

Just like a ____ , can’t beat it ..
Win / win
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Awww, Battambang got some votes! My only complaint is OpenNet. It was blazing fast a couple years ago, but I swear it's just getting slower and slower by the month. OK, I guess I do have a few more complaints... Great spots around town to eat and drink, but it could definitely use a ton more of Western food options. It's come a long way from when I first visited over a decade ago. I think all they had at the time was a place called The Balcony and the Bus Stop for expats.
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

General Mackevili wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:14 am Awww, Battambang got some votes! My only complaint is OpenNet. It was blazing fast a couple years ago, but I swear it's just getting slower and slower by the month. OK, I guess I do have a few more complaints... Great spots around town to eat and drink, but it could definitely use a ton more of Western food options. It's come a long way from when I first visited over a decade ago. I think all they had at the time was a place called The Balcony and the Bus Stop for expats.
Totally agree on the western food options. Battambang has great but unrealised potential. I posted ages ago about it maybe picking up as a tourist stop-off once the trains connect to Thailand. Covid has set that back by years. I can envisage the Riverside busy with lots of bars and restaurants and having a great vibe.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
padraigh
BANNED
Ireland

Post by padraigh »

La Quenta wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:12 pm For someone who has done a reasonable amount of travelling and work abroad, and wants to set up camp in Cambodia for an extended period - lets say 1 year.......What's the best choice for overall lifestyle?

Are there better choices for digital nomads as opposed to retirees or English teachers?

Where are people more honest? Where is it safest? Where is most interesting? Where is most stimulating?

Keen to hear....
Personally I will start with the capital. Then talk my way out of it. As a digital nomad I am not sure about connectivity as you go farther away from the capital. People are generally more honest in the city than in less urban areas in my experience. For a person like me who gets tired easily, things seem far worse than they were after a point of time. See if you can connect to the local grid, if you can, stay, otherwise dont.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Khmu Nation wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:53 pm If I were a 'digital nomad' I would go Vietnam. It's going through an economic boom yet is cheaper to live in than Cambodia.
You better watch some videos:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... etnam+visa

La Quenta wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 pm
Almost overnight Vietnam has become unviable as a place for Digital Nomads due to the new visa laws.
It has more to do with a change in policy regarding enforcement of previously existing laws in the case of business visas. People with those are having difficulty getting extensions as well as anybody on tourist visas.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
padraigh
BANNED
Ireland

Post by padraigh »

Cambodia is more expensive than Vietnam, agree.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

La Quenta wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:57 pm
Almost overnight Vietnam has become unviable as a place for Digital Nomads due to the new visa laws.
Awesome news. I have zero time for such people. Parasites.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic