Hit and Run Leaves Woman Unconscious, with Baby Son Left All Alone

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Hit and Run Leaves Woman Unconscious, with Baby Son Left All Alone

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 12:53 P.M. on June 14, 2021, a woman was seen driving a motorbike (Kandal 1N-0600) with her 3-year-old boy as a passenger, on street 217, Sangkat and Khan Dongkor, Phnom Penh, when she collided with a car, knocking her unconscious and leaving her little boy alone at the scene.
After the accident, the woman was sent to a nearby hospital in an ambulance for treatment. Unfortunately, the car driver who caused the accident drove off without stopping and escaped the accident scene.
The woman's identity is still unknown, and police are waiting for her relatives to inform them and ask them to look after the child. The motorbike was taken to Sangkat Dongkor district police station.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Hit and Run Leaves Woman Unconscious, with Baby Son Left All Alone

Post by AndyKK »

That is a terrible situation for the mother and child to be left. Luckily the situation didn't involve more unpleasantness for the young child.
I really can't understand in these kind of situations how a driver involved in an accident could just drive away. This incident leaving a injured woman and child in the road, is just unthinkable.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:14 am That is a terrible situation for the mother and child to be left. Luckily the situation didn't involve more unpleasantness for the young child.
I really can't understand in these kind of situations how a driver involved in an accident could just drive away. This incident leaving a injured woman and child in the road, is just unthinkable.
It happens a lot in China too. The driver (if caught) will probably have to pay medical costs and compensation. It's not unheard of for people to get fake receipts from the hospital, the 'compensation' could be something like being forced to pay out after the victim claims a minor bruise ruined his chances of playing pro basketball where he would have made millions... in other words the system gets abused, to the point where there are people who will jump in front of a barely moving car then pretend to be hurt and claim compensation. Even a reasonable medical expenses/compensation claim could be enough to financially ruin your whole extended family if you're a poor farmer or something so they often choose to do a runner. I don't know much about the Cambodian system but I assume it's not too different.

I'm not condoning it at all but I can understand why drivers choose to run, hopefully they at least feel bad about it but they probably see it as a 'my family or your family so tough shit' type of situation.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:14 am I really can't understand in these kind of situations how a driver involved in an accident could just drive away. This incident leaving a injured woman and child in the road, is just unthinkable.
However despicable it may be, I can understand it.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

No noticeable damage (torn clothing, road rash, blood, fractures, small pieces of broken parts of moto or other vehicle) to either the moto or woman, and only light scrapes on the face of the small child, in the photos as far as I can see. Possibly a teeny drip of something under her right able, but that could be anything. She's lying there as if unconscious. No reports of witnesses, though obviously something must have happened. I am just questioning the extent of damages. Seems a bit unusual.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

Random Dude wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:14 am That is a terrible situation for the mother and child to be left. Luckily the situation didn't involve more unpleasantness for the young child.
It happens a lot in China too. The driver (if caught) will probably have to pay medical costs and compensation. It's not unheard of for people to get fake receipts from the hospital, the 'compensation' could be something like being forced to pay out after the victim claims a minor bruise ruined his chances of playing pro basketball where he would have made millions... in other words the system gets abused, to the point where there are people who will jump in front of a barely moving car then pretend to be hurt and claim compensation. Even a reasonable medical expenses/compensation claim could be enough to financially ruin your whole extended family if you're a poor farmer or something so they often choose to do a runner. I don't know much about the Cambodian system but I assume it's not too different.

I'm not condoning it at all but I can understand why drivers choose to run, hopefully they at least feel bad about it but they probably see it as a 'my family or your family so tough shit' type of situation.
What you have described is accident scam...
I highly doubt khmer would do such a thing here and she was on a bike with her child...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

ssian wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm
I highly doubt khmer would do such a thing here and she was on a bike with her child...
I heard of that happening here more than 20 years ago.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
ssian
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ssian »

While in SG and MY, more on the car accident scam where the driver infront of you suddenly jam break and subsequently you hit the car from the back. Minutes later, repair car appears and tow cars to workshop and super high prices and times insurance scam since sg requires all driver to have a car insurance.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The incident I heard about was a woman chucking her baby in front of a foreigner's motorbike.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

ssian wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:39 pm
Random Dude wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:11 am

Even if there's no scam involved though and you're on the hook for legitimate costs, if you're paying for hospital bills and loss of income due to the victim not being able to work for however long,that gets expensive.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic