Maternity whiskey

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Maternity whiskey

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

Yes @John Bingham. Of course - it's rice wine. I like how SE Asian's affectionately call all spirits whiskey. The locals are keen to generalize. Also they do it with other words to describe foods. Places and people too (barang and farang).

Sometimes is seems like everything in their world falls into one or two categories. I was simply following suit.

It's funny when you ask girls what so desires them to find a foreigner husband and most replies mention the need to visit the Eiffel Tower, flower fields and snow. I've not heard one response from outside the box.
Phnom Penh Pal
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by Phnom Penh Pal »

To add on the first occasion there was perhaps only fifteen litres of the spirit produced - for my wife to drink only! 🙄 However, a year later when baby number two arrived the demand was for a much greater amount! I've got another $200 worth waiting for me for my next visit too.

I'd tell the mother in law that the knives were not allowed as the baby boy was increasing getting more mobile. When she'd left the room and I had heard her returning I would jump up quickly and place a pair of large scissors above the sleeping baby's pillow and then remove them after she giggled at my teasing.

A tale of two spirits - one good and one bad!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Phnom Penh Pal wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:56 pm
I'd tell the mother in law that the knives were not allowed as the baby boy was increasing getting more mobile.
I thought that was only done for a short period anyway?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alcohol gets passed through breast milk.

So unless bottle feeding…
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic