Launch of Khmer Automatic Speech Recognition Empowered by Artificial Intelligence.

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Launch of Khmer Automatic Speech Recognition Empowered by Artificial Intelligence.

Post by IraHayes »

There was this paper published in Dec. 2016.

https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01392526/document

There are others doing similar work on other under-represented languages.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Re: Launch of Khmer Automatic Speech Recognition Empowered by Artificial Intelligence.

Post by newkidontheblock »

It probably hits the same roadblocks that google translate hits. Khmer uses lots of slang and colloquialisms, which results in the hilarious and cryptic translations that we all know and love.

Her best friend’s brother is a part of this group.
His project is a food service robot for elderly Khmer, among other things.

Will have to ask missus to have her give it a try later on.
Powaline_Digi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Powaline_Digi »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 am Quite amazing what AI can do these days. [A little off topic but...] My friend is a teacher and showed me a website recently where students can input a couple a sentences, just to give the computer an idea as to what the subject matter is, tell the computer how long the essay has to be, click a button, and watch the AI write their entire essay for them. I'm not talking about copying and pasting bits that it finds off the internet, I'm talking original, unique, impossible to detect that it wasn't written by a human text. He told me he knows that some of his students use this technology but there's no way he can prove it.

Apparently almost all news articles you read these days have been written either wholly or partly by AI. Anyone who uses speech-to-text interacts with AI - it's not just writing what it hears you say, the AI will make a decision as to whether what it thinks you said make sense, and if it doesn't, it will best-guess what it thought you probably said.

Apps like this one in the OP don't surprise me and they will only get better very quickly. There will soon be a time when AI translation is so good, there will be no need for language schools and teachers. We will literally put an earpiece in our ears and the AI will translate everything being said in real time.

All those English teachers out there - watch out!
Incredible! Do you know the name of the essay writing AI?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

There are a few. I only remember this one off the top of my head.

https://www.shortlyai.com/
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

xandreu wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:36 am There are a few. I only remember this one off the top of my head.

https://www.shortlyai.com/
These AI tools are very cool. Ones like shortlyai use GPT-3, which is pretty impressive. Elon Musk helped get it started, I believe, and then it later got sold exclusively to Microsoft. and they license out the API. https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/27/tech/elo ... index.html

GPT-3 isn't there yet, but it's leaps ahead of GPT-2, and it's only a matter of time until they come out with GPT-4. I read that China is already working on something that will blow these current tools out of the water, and have a magnitude of more data to work with. I've checked out a few as I'm super interested in weird tech like this, but as of right now it seems like it would mostly be useful for speakers of other languages. It's also interesting that without setting up all the 'safeguard' parameters, GPT-3 was often seen telling all sorts of racist jokes, and telling people to kill themselves, lol. That's what you get when you feed AI billions of pages from the internet written by humans. Sounded like a bunch of forum members having a spat, haha. Someone gave me beta access to one such tool, and it's pretty neat, but not ready for primetime. If you want to see it in action, give me a title of an article, and 3 subsections, and I'll see what it will come up with. It will spin up a 1,000-word essay in a few minutes.

And maybe as of right now teachers aren't able to know if essays are written by AI or not, but all the text generated gets sent to API owners' servers, so I'd imagine they'll also start offering the ability to run text through another app and it will tell you if it was generated with AI or not, as it all goes through them anyways.

And here's an entire Guardian article written by GPT-3:

A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
padraigh
BANNED
Ireland

Post by padraigh »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:16 am Khmer automatic speech recognition launched
Khmer Times
June 14, 2021

THE Ministry of Post and Telecommunications has announced the launch of Khmer Automatic Speech Recognition empowered by artificial intelligence. The program was developed by a group of young researchers of the Cambodia Academy of Digital Technology. The program, which can be used on both Android and iOS devices, can automatically translate speeches and voice messages in the forms of WAV, Mp3, M4a and OGG to texts in Khmer language. The program's accuracy is about 90 percent.
https://www.manilatimes.net/2021/06/14/ ... ed/1803060

I had a goody chat with an AI bot or something on Edge. We talked about turtles. Hard to find someone to chat to me like that anymore.
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:23 am
xandreu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 am Apps like this one in the OP don't surprise me and they will only get better very quickly. There will soon be a time when AI translation is so good, there will be no need for language schools and teachers. We will literally put an earpiece in our ears and the AI will translate everything being said in real time.

That's at least a decade or two away. Current forms of AI are extremely inefficient and require loads of energy and processor time. Squeezing that into an earpiece is beyond current technology.
This has been around for like over 4 years.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

xandreu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:24 pm
xandreu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 am Apps like this one in the OP don't surprise me and they will only get better very quickly. There will soon be a time when AI translation is so good, there will be no need for language schools and teachers. We will literally put an earpiece in our ears and the AI will translate everything being said in real time.

That's at least a decade or two away. Current forms of AI are extremely inefficient and require loads of energy and processor time. Squeezing that into an earpiece is beyond current technology.
I was thinking more of the phone doing the work and sending the results to the earpiece, or even the phone sending the work over the internet to be processed, much like voice dictation does now.

Don't fool yourself into thinking this is years away. We're pretty much there already, as this app and similar apps like it have shown. It's just a case of someone coming along and putting everything together in a neat package, much like Apple is known to do.

The huge global language learning industry and the millions it employs is just as much as risk of AI technology as any other industry. And it will happen sooner than you think.
Like digital cameras. Once they because barely good enough for the average Joe it was game over. And it was very quick. Bye bye Kodak.

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Doc67 wrote:Like digital cameras. Once they because barely good enough for the average Joe it was game over. And it was very quick. Bye bye Kodak.
Film cameras requires going to a processor. Photos come had to be stored in albums or a shoe box and fade with time. Photos couldn’t really be cropped or enhanced in any way. With digital cameras, photos can be cropped, red eye removed, etc. Thousands can be stored on a single memory stick. Or uploaded to the internet to enjoy again and again. It’s a no brainer what happened. The average Joe isn’t stupid. There is a clear advantage. Like going from the horse to the automobile.

Of course when smartphones could take photos as well as or better than most point and shoot digital cameras, guess what happened? The smart phone replaced the digital camera. It’s also an address book, calendar, and organizer. Plus social networking, that was only possible on desktops or laptops. There’s a clear advantage.

When AI can pass the Turing test, a new era will have arrived. Things can only get better.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

NeverNude wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:00 am

This has been around for like over 4 years.
Those buds have zero AI in them, they rely on a larger machine within range of Bluetooth to do the actual translations.
When I said it's one or two decades from now I meant a stand alone in-ear piece which will do translations on the fly, real time, for you. Not a wireless earbud connecting to another station doing the actual work.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic