Maintaining SIM card

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Maintaining SIM card

Post by Spigzy »

From Cellcard agent:

"Should you wish to have longer validity main balance you should consider to use Cellcard Niyeay, every top up at 2$ or more main balance will valid for 60 days, after main balance expired you can receive incoming call for 90 days + 30 days block incoming call before the number deactivate from system."
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Spigzy wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:08 pm From Cellcard agent:

"Should you wish to have longer validity main balance you should consider to use Cellcard Niyeay, every top up at 2$ or more main balance will valid for 60 days, after main balance expired you can receive incoming call for 90 days + 30 days block incoming call before the number deactivate from system."
That's excellent advice. I switched to the Niyeay plan and do just that, top up $2 every 60 days which pushes the expiration date another 60 days into the future. I haven't been to Cambodia since 2019 thanks to Covid and my SIM card remains alive and well.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Alex wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:51 pm

That's excellent advice. I switched to the Niyeay plan and do just that, top up $2 every 60 days which pushes the expiration date another 60 days into the future. I haven't been to Cambodia since 2019 thanks to Covid and my SIM card remains alive and well.
How do you top up $2 every 60 days? Using the mobile app or ABA?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Cooldude wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:42 pm I don't think it matters with Cellcard if you keep adding money or not. If you're away and not actively using the SIM, you'll lose the number after 3 months whether you have credit or not.
This! At least, for cellcard.
It’s not the money in, it’s the active use on the network. I had this problem last year. And once the they’ve recycled the number, you shout all you want about putting credit on the number, they’ll have no record as you don’t exist anymore
alexvanlaar
Expatriate
Netherlands

Post by alexvanlaar »

atst wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:05 pm Good tip from Doc , smart users can get 90days extend for $2

I have the ABA app, but didn't use the app for about 2 or three month. Even I could open the app with my fingerprint couple of weeks ago, I wasn't able to go to my accounts.
I just wanted to extend my savings-accout but couldn't do it. I think I have to show myself at Psar Thmey in person.
So don't forget to open the App once a month in order to be on the safe side.
I myself have to wait until I can enter KOW, hopefully as soon as possible.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 am

How do you top up $2 every 60 days? Using the mobile app or ABA?
I use either Wing, or Cellcard's mobile app with credit card.
Nobby Stiles
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Nobby Stiles »

Mines works differently to yours, every time I top up $2 or more it only gives me 60 days from the date of top up regardless of my old expiration date, the expiration dates don’t rollover so I’m only ever 2 month maximum expiration in advance.

What am I doing wrong?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Nobby Stiles wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:51 pm

Mines works differently to yours, every time I top up $2 or more it only gives me 60 days from the date of top up regardless of my old expiration date, the expiration dates don’t rollover so I’m only ever 2 month maximum expiration in advance.

What am I doing wrong?
Yes, that's how it works. That's why I top it up every 60 days, to get another 60 days. To be clear, I do that just before expiration, for the reason you wrote.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

metfone
https://www.metfone.com.kh/en/mobile/prepaid/4-ever

The expiration date is reset every 60 days if the subscriber makes a call or SMS, or uses the internet.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus let her’s expire. Had to have her friend get another SIM card. Fortunately old number was still available. SIM shipped from Cambodia. Lesson learned.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic