Thief Stole from Employer to Buy Racing Bike

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Thief Stole from Employer to Buy Racing Bike

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Takeo province): On June 9, 2021, Bati district and Tropang Sap police arrested Deum Sovannara, a 24-year-old man, who lives in Bati district, Takeo province, and accused him of stealing 27 million Riels and some gold jewelry from a jewelry shop where he was working. He confessed to the theft, saying that he stole from his employer because he wanted to buy a brand new Duke 200 racing motorcycle, (Phnom Penh 1CF9374), which cost $1,700, and he didn't have any money.

On June 10, 2021, at 1:30am, at the time of the arrest, police recovered 10 million riels and the jewelry. The suspect has been detained for questioning and the evidence was seized for further investigation.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Thief Stole from Employer to Buy Racing Bike

Post by Jerry Atrick »

$1700 for a Duke 200?

Overpriced
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

I don't think so...How much is a brand new shitty Honda Dream ?
200 $ less as i recall it, for a stylish 1990's revival design that nobody dare to sell as a novelty anymore except Cambodia...
1700 $ seems fair and even surprisingly cheap compared to smaller bikes
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

I'm pretty sure brand new Honda dreams are over 2k.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I've still got a very strong attachment to the Daelims that where already old when i first arrived.
I want one of those, with a flat hard rectangular passenger seat just like my old motodop drivers had, if i ever get round to buying a bike.

The wife doesn't quite get the retro workingman thing yet, but she'll come around...
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

He must have failed math class, if he even went to school at all. 27 million Riel is over $6,000, not to mention the value of gold he stole. Maybe he wanted to buy racing bikes for his friends, too?

As an aside, I thought the price of a new KTM 200 was far more than $1,700. At least they were back several years ago. And I think I've heard that new 2021 Honda Dreams are about $2,550-$2,700.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

The Judge wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 am And I think I've heard that new 2021 Honda Dreams are about $2,550-$2,700.
Which is f***ing crazy given that is x2 the price of a better model same brand in Indonesia.
And that's cash.

The glutony for money is indecent on this one, absolutely zero reasons for such an inflated price in such a poor little country.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

The Judge wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 am He must have failed math class, if he even went to school at all. 27 million Riel is over $6,000, not to mention the value of gold he stole. Maybe he wanted to buy racing bikes for his friends, too?

As an aside, I thought the price of a new KTM 200 was far more than $1,700. At least they were back several years ago. And I think I've heard that new 2021 Honda Dreams are about $2,550-$2,700.
Yeah, new is pricey

But nowadays I see Duke 200 and 390cc secondhand from 1 to 2k

390's I like, 200cc is totally gutless, and unexciting
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It takes a special kind of employee to work in a Khmer jewelry shop. A cross between a monk and Mother Theresa. To be low paid, and looked down upon all day long as being stupid and poor by the boss’ wife, all the while watching the boss skim from the top. All while handling more wealth in a day than he could make in lifetime.

Would be a festering resentment day in and day out.

I sure couldn’t do it.

And I guess neither could he.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:20 pm It takes a special kind of employee to work in a Khmer jewelry shop. A cross between a monk and Mother Theresa. To be low paid, and looked down upon all day long as being stupid and poor by the boss’ wife, all the while watching the boss skim from the top. All while handling more wealth in a day than he could make in lifetime.

Would be a festering resentment day in and day out.

I sure couldn’t do it.

And I guess neither could he.
Its a really good point. You could argue the same in many bars & restaurants - punters spending more in a night than the waitress / bargirl / cashier can earn in a year. its got to warp their minds.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic