Bad Attitude: Tattoo Girls Get Tut-Tuts on Social Media

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
yochigga
Tourist

Re: Bad Attitude: Tattoo Girls Get Tut-Tuts on Social Media

Post by yochigga »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:51 pm
yochigga wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:22 pm

I don't see the correlation between tats and someone's behavior tbh. If they behave badly, it doesn't matter if they had any tat or not--they're just bad. And being inked doesn't immediately make you a bad person/a person with bad behavior. If people assume you are just because you're tatted, then who the fuck cares. To each their own.
There is a connection in traditional Sak Yant. The person getting the tattoo from the monk fasts and goes through ceremonies and pledges to behave well according to the Buddhist precepts. Sometimes they have to make other strange pledges, to do with diet or behavior. One I heard of was that they had to pledge not to shit and piss at the same time or the magical protection would be lost. They were very popular with soldiers though, so I'd imagine the pledges were often forgotten soon after leaving the pagoda.
Well then it's a different story. If they got it the traditional way and still behaving like shit, then they've got issues, along with breaking their pledges. If they only got it cuz they liked the design or for whatever reason, without going through any kind of ritual, then it's zero connection. They're just baaad.

I'm not justifying their behavior. It's just sad that a lot of people still think that tattoo = bad. But again, whatever floats your boat. Can't control anyone's opinion anyway.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Brody wrote:In an interesting aside,

according to in depth, first hand, local field research, if the Khmer woman is tattooed......the chances of you receiving decently skilled oral sex increases by a factor of 10.
Chance of the Tattooed Khmer woman giving oral sex (and other kinds of sex) to tons of men ever before meeting you increases by a factor of 10. The chances of giving to tons of men after you increases by a factor of 10.

Some might consider that a big turn on and actively seek this out. To each his own.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

When I was growing up we avoided puritans and virgins like the plague, but to each his own. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

yochigga wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:22 pm I don't see the correlation between tats and someone's behavior tbh. If they behave badly, it doesn't matter if they had any tat or not--they're just bad. And being inked doesn't immediately make you a bad person/a person with bad behavior. If people assume you are just because you're tatted, then who the fuck cares. To each their own.
i guess it, in behaviour terms, in a lot of cultures, getting tattoos is a sign of rebellious behaviour, a middle finger to old social norms, obviously now in modern society someone not having a tattoo and having virgin skin is actually more of a shock than someone not having a tattoo
tattoos also obviously have a lot of connection to gangs and gang culture, and people want to replicate these tattoos to make them look "bad" or "hard", whether they are actually bad or not isnt always the case, but its the image they intend to give off,
having a my little pony tattoo on your ankle isnt going to rub people up the wrong way, but like in this case, having a gun tattooed on your waist is going to attract the wrong attention, especially in a culture where tattoos are frowned upon, a lot of my khmer friends would love to get tattoos, but due to their parents views would never dare, if they did, it would again, be a sign of rebelious behaviour
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm i guess it, in behaviour terms, in a lot of cultures, getting tattoos is a sign of rebellious behaviour, a middle finger to old social norms, obviously now in modern society someone not having a tattoo and having virgin skin is actually more of a shock than someone not having a tattoo
Tattoos have become so normal that having no tattoos is now more rebellious than having them. Better get down the laser clinic. :lol:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:27 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm i guess it, in behaviour terms, in a lot of cultures, getting tattoos is a sign of rebellious behaviour, a middle finger to old social norms, obviously now in modern society someone not having a tattoo and having virgin skin is actually more of a shock than someone not having a tattoo
Tattoos have become so normal that having no tattoos is now more rebellious than having them. Better get down the laser clinic. :lol:
haha the time and sessions it would take to get rid of all mine...

talking of tattoos, im in for another day session today
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:01 pm When I was growing up we avoided puritans and virgins like the plague, but to each his own. 8)
Perspectives are funny coz I remember a friend once said he loved Catholic girls coz he reckoned they were really hot...something to do with all that repression and then the unleashing of unbridled desires :mrgreen:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Yes, they certainly weren't puritanical, they just had to act like that when those bitch-from-hell nuns were around. :evil:
Stiliko
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Stiliko »

Brody wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:36 pm In an interesting aside,

according to in depth, first hand, local field research, if the Khmer woman is tattooed......the chances of you receiving a narly case of herpes increases by a factor of 10.
Ftfy
she was quite pretty and looked older
she knew only what had been told her
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

I really like the Sak Yant Tattoo's, and whilst I understand the meaning of a lot of them, I would feel weird getting a tattoo of a culture that I wasn't born into.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic