Need a tax preparer… Anyone have a recommendation?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Need a tax preparer… Anyone have a recommendation?

Post by Syntaxfree »

I’m a U.S. citizen and I’m a little late filing my taxes although, I believe expats are give an extra 2 months. In any case, I don’t feel like doing my taxes myself and have too many questions along the way so I’d prefer to have a tax preparer handle it.

I contacted someone at H&R Block but she wasn’t very helpful and took a week each time to reply to very simple questions. Can anyone recommend a good tax preparer who will assist me on the phone or quickly respond to questions. Thanks.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Re: Need a tax preparer… Anyone have a recommendation?

Post by The Judge »

Have you considered filing electronically using turbo tax?

That's what I did, directly from my smartphone, and it worked great. Free also.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

The Judge wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:15 pm Have you considered filing electronically using turbo tax?

That's what I did, directly from my smartphone, and it worked great. Free also.
How did you get the Turbo Tax for free?
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Go to their website, and try it. There are some qualifications you have to be eligible for free filing and one free state return, but because I don't know anything about your situation, I can't be certain you'd qualify.

I just know I did. Try it out. Answer a few questions to see if you qualify, too. It leads you through everything, question by question
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

I would try but I’m not sure which way of filing would be most beneficial. I also have a bunch of other simple question which I’m sure any tax preparer could easily answer. I’d rather just spend the cash than spend time searching online for answers.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Syntaxfree wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:07 pm I would try but I’m not sure which way of filing would be most beneficial. I also have a bunch of other simple question which I’m sure any tax preparer could easily answer. I’d rather just spend the cash than spend time searching online for answers.
I am a CPA from the USA. I haven't been in the practice for several years since moving to Cambodia. If you'd like to contact me, andif you agree to a consultation fee I could help you with some of your questions.
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

Sounds good. I’ll message you in a bit. Thanks.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Syntaxfree wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:07 pm I would try but I’m not sure which way of filing would be most beneficial. I also have a bunch of other simple question which I’m sure any tax preparer could easily answer. I’d rather just spend the cash than spend time searching online for answers.
I'm American and I have filed my own taxes for years. If you would like any help I may be able to help you, or even do your taxes for a small fee. Message me if you'd like to discuss.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

You should gone on line and filed an extension.
Waiting after the government extended the file date a month was not cool.
But, relax...I filed my own taxes since I was 17.
Not sure what the confusion is.
If you were self employed you need to pay estimated quarterly.
If you worked for a company...they deducted taxes according to the ,W-2...you filled out.
If you knew you were owed a refund...why wait?
Better pm the retired CPA...
Syntaxfree
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Syntaxfree »

I probably will anyway but taxes aren’t due until June 15th for citizens living abroad.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic