Tips for Dealing with Street Dogs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Tips for Dealing with Street Dogs

Post by hanno »

Anty wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:50 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:33 pm
Pepper spray may be an idea if it is legal here.
Boil up some chilli peppers, load the spicy water into a water pistol or spray bottle and give the most aggressive mutt a facefull.
Plain water is just as effective and not as cruel.

(Though in a real dog vs human skirmish I take the humans side, I could never subject a dog to the painful days long effect of that)
Apparently, water and vinegar works a treat without the agony.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Diluted Household ammonia cleaner is also a strong disincentive in a spray device.
In case you think agony is good.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:44 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:10 pm
Jerry Atrick wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:23 pm
Khmu Nation wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:59 am Run with a stick.

Kill persistent offenders with poisoned snacks.
You poisoning dogs around phnom penh? Bad form
It's not bad form if the dog has bitten you more than once and badly enough to require doctors appointments and injections, attacked you on numerous occasions, chased you over a hundred times and you have politely asked the owner to please control their dog and should you get bitten or attacked one more time the dog's life will be in danger.

It's called the pecking order, dude. Get over it.. [Mod edit: no need for name calling]
Well, I have no idea wtf you get up to that one dog sent you to the E.R more than once and chased you over a hundred times; how does that happen? Was it just you this dog chased, or did it chase all the other people it saw daily and bite them also? If so, how come it had to come down to you poisoning it?

I've put ill dogs down before when they were going die anyhow to end suffering, but if I ever find myself skulking around poisoning other people's dogs then something will have gone badly wrong.
Yeah alright Cesar, we're not all The Dog Whisperer
FrankReynolds
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by FrankReynolds »

Just pretend to throw rocks at them. They flee.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

FrankReynolds wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:40 pm Just pretend to throw rocks at them. They flee.
Yeah. Old trick, but it works. :thumb:
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:44 pm
FrankReynolds wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:40 pm Just pretend to throw rocks at them. They flee.
Yeah. Old trick, but it works. :thumb:
Apart from when it doesn't of course. Not all dogs are completely stupid
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Anty wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:50 pm
Random Dude wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:33 pm
Pepper spray may be an idea if it is legal here.
Boil up some chilli peppers, load the spicy water into a water pistol or spray bottle and give the most aggressive mutt a facefull.
Plain water is just as effective and not as cruel.

(Though in a real dog vs human skirmish I take the humans side, I could never subject a dog to the painful days long effect of that)
If plain water works that's obviously the better way to go about it and you'd be more likely to have a bottle of water on you than home made pepper spray. I wouldn't have thought the pepper spray sting would last more than a couple of hours at most but then I don't know anything about it. I was picturing an unpleasant but relatively harmless concoction that would take the fight out of them, distract them for a few minutes and make them think you weren't worth chasing in the future. A bit like a mild electric shock.

That being said though, if I genuinely thought I was about to get attacked by vicious, uncontrolled dogs and for whatever reason wasn't able to scare them off or better, avoid them, I'd have no problem blasting them with some pepper spray if I had some on me.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

I've always been a dog person. I've had stupid little yappy house dogs snap at me, been chased on my bike or when running a few times, had a pack of mangy street dogs come at me and threaten me once in Indonesia but I've always generally felt confidant around dogs.

I got a pretty nasty bite a couple of years ago though by a dog that had always been my buddy and ever since then I've never completely trusted dogs I don't know really well. It's irrational, I know from the body language and everything else when dogs are being friendly but I'm still trying to get over the anticipation of the dog suddenly turning on me and biting me even though I know it's highly unlikely. It pisses me off. For the first time I can see how phobias or a previous bad experience can over rule logic, especially around dogs.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:03 pm Anyone living in SEA has had at least one encounter with packs of dogs roaming free. ....
These are not stray dogs, they have owners or are cared for by people in the neighborhood. I attack them with the same fury they use on me. These are called Level 5 dogs in secret doggy-person language. They are looking for ways to get you. Some will noiselessly sneak up behind you just so they can nip your heel.

The worst were in Thailand but in recent years the bad dogs there, at least in chiangmai, have gotten fewer since the owners know how unappealing they are to tourists, the bread-and-butter of their owners in many cases. Cities are relatively safe but the countryside and small towns like savannakhet laos, is where they can get dangerous.

Always have at least one of these things:
thick stick.
slingshot
nunchucks
long heavy chain
machete
pocket full of rocks
2 bodyguards with dubious sexual tastes
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Post by Pedrazo »

I bend down and pretend to pick up an imaginary rock and then raise my hand and gesture as if I'm throwing it at them and they RUN.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic