Setting up utilities for non-residents

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
mtmahon
Tourist
Australia

Setting up utilities for non-residents

Post by mtmahon »

Hi All,

Looking for some collective wisdom please. I am (strongly) considering purchasing an off-plan apartment build in PP currently which is due for delivery in 2023. I am an Australian citizen but am living and working in Singapore (have been for the past 4.5yrs) so am just wondering how things like utilities get setup if you're not a resident of Cambodia upon handover? I am not looking to relocate at this stage (it's an option later of course), but for now it's just a base for my family and friends to use once borders reopen to tourists.

Not sure if anyone has done this before and can advise on the requirements? I'm pretty keen (paid a booking deposit already), but am holding off on the 30% DP until I understand the setup post handover.

Appreciate any wisdom you can impart.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Setting up utilities for non-residents

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Meters will automatically be set-up. If you want it in your name you'll just have to go down and change it. I wouldn't worry about it. It would literally be at the bottom of my list of worries if buying off plan from a developer.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
mtmahon
Tourist
Australia

Post by mtmahon »

Thanks for the response. When you say "you'll just have to go down and change it" I am assuming you mean to the utility company office? If it's not a thing to have it in your personal name (i.e. development/management set it up and you pay them monthly) then I am ok...just not sure on what the norm is.
Keen to understand if there are other pitfalls to be wary based on your second comment? I am aware of the potential development risk and quality, especially in these times, and have covered myself as much as I can in the contract (reviewed and amended by a local khmer lawyer), but no there is no such thing as a guarantee in any ASEAN country. I'd be appreciative to hear of any 'gotchas' you or anyone may know that I should consider :-)
BillDoe
BANNED
United States of America

Post by BillDoe »

EDC will "automatically" come out once your apartment is built. We have a few renters who also have the bills transfered into their names, they rent shop house style homes long-term though, 10 year leases.

Edit - wife says they're in her name and will be until they purchase the property
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

OP- I'm wondering whether delivery of utilities once it's built is the least of your worries. I don't want to sound overly cynical but I'd be more concerned as to whether they will in fact finish the building and to an acceptable standard by 2023 as advised..
mtmahon
Tourist
Australia

Post by mtmahon »

Hi All,
I’m of course aware there are many risks with purchasing property off plan normally, let alone in Cambodia and in these COVID times, however I’ve accepted these and will either reap the rewards or one day wake up wondering where it all went wrong 😜

Appreciate the concern, but just wondering about the mundane stuff like post handover formalities.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

If you are planning to buy a condo unit, then you set up utilities with the condo management company. They don't care where you are resident. But you better check this from developer. Also make sure they can send your bills by email. But usually you pay your water, electricity, internet directly to your condo management company. And usually they only turn them on when you request and then they start to bill you. And note, that usually they have some minimal fee ($5 or so) once you ask them to turn utilities on. So if turn it on, but not stay in, you can expect few dollar bill anyways. Plus the possible management and sinking fees.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

mtmahon wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:36 pm I’m of course aware there are many risks with purchasing property off plan normally, let alone in Cambodia and in these COVID times, however I’ve accepted these and will either reap the rewards or one day wake up wondering where it all went wrong 😜
I don't think it's technically possible to describe any sort of human endeavour of any kind on CEO without at least a few posters popping their heads up to tell you you're doomed.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

nerdlinger wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:14 pm
mtmahon wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:36 pm I’m of course aware there are many risks with purchasing property off plan normally, let alone in Cambodia and in these COVID times, however I’ve accepted these and will either reap the rewards or one day wake up wondering where it all went wrong 😜
I don't think it's technically possible to describe any sort of human endeavour of any kind on CEO without at least a few posters popping their heads up to tell you you're doomed.
And other posters have answered the OP's question as well. :thumb:

Saying a few posters are telling the OP 'he's doomed' is obviously drawing a very long bow. Of course, no one is saying that. All they are doing is pointing out some of the other risks given the local perspective and context.

OK, maybe presumptive to do so.. but the OP did say in his first post 'I am (strongly) considering purchasing an off-plan apartment build in PP' and 'I'm pretty keen (paid a booking deposit already), but am holding off on the 30% DP' suggesting he hasn't committed 100% yet. And all this in the context of: 1. the OP being a non resident, and 2. the current economic climate situation in PP where condo units are hard to move ATM whether to sell or rent and some projects are not getting off the ground or stalled.

Of course no one knows what the situation will be like in 2023 however OP has since stated he's fully aware of the risks so that's fine. Before that however, posters were not to know and if a few raise the issue of delivery risks (with the OP not yet having bitten the bullet) it seems to me a fair and helpful thing to do.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic