Knives out in Kampot?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angsta
Expatriate
Iran

Re: Knives out in Kampot?

Post by angsta »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:13 am
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:47 pm When I had a bar, I stopped bar tabs, to the dismay of those it affected, with comments like "that doesn't mean me, right". Tabs are an added and unnecessary burden. Pensioners were forever behind. It is amazing how much month is left at the end of the money.
So, because a "no" hurt the petals' feelings, I said you give me $100 in advance and Ill give you $110 in drinks. $50: $5, $20: $1. To which a few said WTTE "what if I don't come back?" By the time they said that they must have known I was setting them up for "at least we are of the same mind-set."
It's tricky though because there were exceptions and with all the competition giving tick, you don't wanna lose customers, and the idea was they do have to come back. Or do they? The excuses were insulting.
There are a few bars in PP with similar schemes, although more generous. I think Ostro on 136/5 were doing $100 advance for a $150 credit. But they are more expensive than most to start with so the discount is built in.

Do bar owners who try to sell their bar expect buyers to acquire all the bar tabs at full value, or is there an accepted norm of, say 50% of book value?
Broken Bricks was ahead of the game. Peaceman was running a similar scheme but for a prepaid case of Angkor 15 years ago.
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Post by Pedrazo »

You have to be careful. Some bar owners offer "Give me $100 for a $150 bar credit" because they are cash strapped and the bar may close soon.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Sure, that's exactly what angsta just said. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic