Another nonce in the dock..Aussie Peter Hansen

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Another nonce in the dock

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Biffsm wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:12 am So, what does a guy like this get sentenced to in Australia?
1992 - 12months, out in 5. (one example, convicted of offences against a dozen kids, many more of his crimes not prosecuted)
Nowadays, much more - but still usually nowhere near 20 years. usually.

Like for all sentences for crimes by priests, boy scout leaders, cops, bank managers, etc - they get a discounted sentence for "a lifetime of public service" etc.
For being "pillars of their community".
FFS. i have never understood that - they should get an extra harsh sentence for "betrayal of trust" if they commit any crimes under cover of their profession.
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

Thanks a lot for the info.
I agree if you take advantage of your position you should have a harsher punishment.
Bad cops, priests, Doctors etc. Bill Cosby..
Sexual predators of kids are not going to be slowed down by a few months in jail.
Have you ever watched the tv series Ray Donavon? It takes a look at the damage priests and people of trust can and how it never goes away as these kids become adults.
They get life and the deviate gets a slap on the wrist or just moved to another parrish.
Hopefully, this guy will die in prison.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:28 am Like for all sentences for crimes by priests, boy scout leaders, cops, bank managers, etc - they get a discounted sentence for "a lifetime of public service" etc.
For being "pillars of their community".
FFS. i have never understood that - they should get an extra harsh sentence for "betrayal of trust" if they commit any crimes under cover of their profession.
As an ex lawyer he's cottoned on to that...
The court heard he has an adopted son in Vietnam and has volunteered in overseas detention centres.

"I look back and I think so much of what I've done for the better in my life, I have negated by falling foul of my compulsion," he said.
Notice how he disassociates himself from responsibility by referring to this thing...er...a 'compulsion'

My way of reading it: aka 'I couldn't help myself', 'this compulsion made me do it'

Dictionary of compulsion from google:

1. the action or state of forcing or being forced to do something; constraint.

2. an irresistible urge to behave in a certain way.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Another nonce in the dock..Aussie Peter Hansen

Post by canucklhead »

More than a few of these "short eyes" are dealt with in prison.
greenstripe99
Tourist
Australia

Post by greenstripe99 »

The pictures in Sydney newspaper reporting his sentence shows a picture of him in (presumably) Phnom Penh. He got 17 years and looks like about 14 non-parole.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/for ... 57e8y.html
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
Prior to his arrest, Hansen had been the president of Labor’s Cabramatta branch. He had also run as a Labor candidate in the 2016 Fairfield Council election.
lawyer>priest>would be politician :facepalm:
In his sentencing remarks in the NSW District Court on Friday, Judge James Bennett said Hansen’s “abhorrent conduct” included a high level of planning and organisation. He said he was not persuaded that the offender was “contrite” in his evidence, that he “had the capacity for manipulation” and sought to deflect responsibility by repeatedly using the term “compulsion” to explain away his “prolific and prolonged” conduct.
Good onya judge seeing through that 'compulsion' bs
The remorse Hansen expressed was “more concerned with his own predicament” than what he had done to the children, Judge Bennett said, adding it “beggars belief” that Hansen said he did not appreciate the extent of the harm to his victims until he read their statements.
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback »

greenstripe99 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:37 pm The pictures in Sydney newspaper reporting his sentence shows a picture of him in (presumably) Phnom Penh. He got 17 years and looks like about 14 non-parole.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/for ... 57e8y.html
Yes, that's from his picture set from his Facebook when he was in Cambodia in 2018. At least that's not a slap on the wrist. I'm kind of surprised.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

This is a start, but is not enough obviously.

Australia has a zero tolerance for pedophile crimes committed by Australians in foreign countries. :thumb:
post181401.html#p181401
In May this year the Turnbull government announced that more than 20,000 people on the National Child Offender Register would have their passports cancelled while they were on the list. There are 3200 offenders on the register for life.
According to the Australian government, almost 800 child sex offenders travelled overseas last year...
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

That "planning" look, very concerned, on that "living the dream" selfie....Sure he was feeling like Mickael Douglas in Wall Street somehow. Too smart to be down eh ?
I hope they break his legs, so he won't have to walk the miles of rough-seropositive-bandido cock he's gonna get somewhere from the local gorillas, amen.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Just playing devil’s advocate. At what point does the punishment fit the crime? And does time served then allow a clean slate and allow one to get along with their life? Or should it be a scarlet letter of lifelong shame?

Looking at other crimes. Khmer refugees committing crimes overseas and then returned to Cambodia. Drug mules or those caught using drugs serving time in prison. There’s sympathy for them.

Some professions can kick you out for ‘moral turpitude’. No crime committed, just not a good person. Similar to a conduct unbecoming of an officer or soldier.

This guy is now caught and should serve his punishment.

No one should be forced to sleep with children. They are smelly, pee on you, head butt, kick, and roll into your sleeping spot when you get up to use the toilet. Only obligated when it’s your flesh and blood.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic