People Dying Young In Cambodia - Why?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Soyoung123
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: People Dying Young In Cambodia - Why?

Post by Soyoung123 »

nemo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:12 pm Local people die young from:
Liver flukes from the salt pickled rice field crabs leading to cirrhosis/liver cancer, TB, heart disease, pneumonia
Fascinating. Never heard of this. And very popular when you are broke.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:49 am
HOWEVER, a lot of the Cambodian dead are young people, dying too young in all sorts of avoidable accidents - work-related, drownings, fires, electrocutions, senseless violence, and of course traffic accidents.
Yes, this needs multiplying out by the age distribution to be meaningful. Ultimately the long term death rate remains the same in every country, at one per person.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:49 am When I did a search on "Cambodian death rate", I got this. (Might be OT if we are discussing barang deaths, but it's quite interesting.)
Asia
North America

And the source is (lol): https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/ ... omparison/

This link gives the global average deaths as 7.43/1000 pop - in comparison, the CIA site rates Cambodia at 7.15/1000.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

So even if we get the impression from Cambodian news reports that people are dropping like flies, the percentage of deaths nationally is not as bad as we might imagine. Also, it should be taken into account that, contrary to a lot of countries, the Khmer news sources seem to report each and every death, so our impressions might be influenced by the amount of reporting.

HOWEVER, a lot of the Cambodian dead are young people, dying too young in all sorts of avoidable accidents - work-related, drownings, fires, electrocutions, senseless violence, and of course traffic accidents.
I thought that was strange, so I had to look it up. The reason why the death rate is low in Cambodia is that they had such a large youth population, who are generally still relatively young. The elderly population is relatively small so the death rate is low compared to many other countries.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:52 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:49 am When I did a search on "Cambodian death rate", I got this. (Might be OT if we are discussing barang deaths, but it's quite interesting.)
Asia
North America

And the source is (lol): https://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/ ... omparison/

This link gives the global average deaths as 7.43/1000 pop - in comparison, the CIA site rates Cambodia at 7.15/1000.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

So even if we get the impression from Cambodian news reports that people are dropping like flies, the percentage of deaths nationally is not as bad as we might imagine. Also, it should be taken into account that, contrary to a lot of countries, the Khmer news sources seem to report each and every death, so our impressions might be influenced by the amount of reporting.

I thought that was strange, so I had to look it up. The reason why the death rate is low in Cambodia is that they had such a large youth population, who are generally still relatively young. The elderly population is relatively small so the death rate is low compared to many other countries.
Yeah, this graph shows that big age gap.
Imagehttps://www.indexmundi.com/cambodia/age_structure.html

IMO, the relatively youthful Cambodian population is also a big reason why there have not been more Covid deaths - there are less old people, and less chronically sick people who are being kept alive by healthcare. If you are alive in Cambodia, then you are most likely young(under 40), or you are old and tough. There are other reasons of course, but in my mind, the relatively few Covid deaths (up until now and fingers crossed) are due to Cambodia's almost unique age structure with a population containing so many young people and so few oldies.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Not sure about the death rate but the life expectancy of Cambodians is still increasing quite remarkably,
unlike some Western countries where it, remarkably, is declining.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

All of this seems palatable enough, to the OP's question about homicides being passed of as heart attacks or other. That question gets asked here a lot and i suspect that posters are smart not to post much here if they learn some details that don't add up. Just in the last 60 days we had the young Yemeni man, the one who was brought up from his drowning death by a group of feral children and then moved another 100 feet on the riverwalk by the same group of kids. The young Russian man who dropped dead around St. 240 after 'doing some of the killer meth. There are more. Enough said. Apparently there really is some killer meth and that is it sole's purpose. The Yemen fellow had signs of trauma I am told.

I think that coupled with some of the excellent insights already in this thread there is the Covid factor that has been re arranging the economy of all of our lives and re formatting what is normal too, and the forces that engine those things has been getting stronger this whole time. So, now 15 mos into this, survival for many here has gotten tougher as time goes by. I have known far too many people that have died in these last 15 months that would likely not have died in non Covid times. Covid lockdowns and the ensuing butterfly effects of all the urban poor out scavenging and hustling constantly have created a very uniquely dangerous environment here.

Homicide is a big word and a first class offense against the State and all of humanity and maybe its apt that these deaths are registered as natural or as suicides or as OD's instead of getting into the ferocious hot weed garden and calling them murders.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic