Wifi doesn't reach my room!!! Anyone here technically aware??

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Wifi doesn't reach my room!!! Anyone here technically aware??

Post by HappyChappy »

Right!!! After searching and searching I've finally found a well priced room to rent in PP, problem is, the wifi signal doesn't reach my room, I can't move the router and an Ethernet cable just will not reach...... Well maybe it would but it would take a decent amount of drilling / cable running.

Is anyone here aware of a tech store that would sell some sort of antenna booster or Ethernet plug socket that could get the wifi to reach me??
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Wifi doesn't reach my room!!! Anyone here technically aware??

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I guess it depends how far you are away from the router..

I can't vouch for this personally but maybe you can look into this..seems cheap enough and might do the trick..

www.facebook.com/imobi.cambodia/posts/1691682081018996
www.facebook.com/oneclicks.net/posts/2948093232136384
www.facebook.com/techzonegroup/posts/4070047253038112

Instructions here on how to set it up:
http://www.imobi.biz/en/products/mi-sma ... tender_pro
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Better if you need a reliable connection to get fiber to the home.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

We had the same challenge and the internet company simply set up a 2nd plug in router (I assume). Its plugged directly into the wall socket and gives me great coverage. Not sure technically how it works but it works.
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

TWY wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:27 pm We had the same challenge and the internet company simply set up a 2nd plug in router (I assume). Its plugged directly into the wall socket and gives me great coverage. Not sure technically how it works but it works.
Ah that could work. The whole fiber idea is a bit much I'll only be renting there for 3-6 months I just need a quick solution, so the wifi company will put in another router?? I'll contact them
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

TWY wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:27 pm We had the same challenge and the internet company simply set up a 2nd plug in router (I assume). Its plugged directly into the wall socket and gives me great coverage. Not sure technically how it works but it works.
Yeah, a lot of routers can be set up in 'extender' mode to connect to the main router.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic