An Australian student denounced his university's ties to China. Then he became a target

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

An Australian student denounced his university's ties to China. Then he became a target

Post by Brody »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australian-s ... 18868.html
Before the text messages threatening to kill his family, Drew Pavlou gathered a small group of students on a busy walkway at the University of Queensland to protest the Chinese government’s repression of Uighur Muslims and crackdown on Hong Kong.

“Hey-hey, ho-ho — Xi Jinping has got to go!”

As he denounced the Communist leader, hundreds of counter-demonstrators massed around a colonnade at the campus in Brisbane, Australia. Some were students from China; others appeared older. They yelled pro-Beijing slogans and played the Chinese national anthem over loudspeakers.

Pavlou, 20, stopped for a moment and smiled, relishing the first protest he’d ever organized.

Things quickly turned violent. A man in the crowd rushed at Pavlou, snatching his megaphone. A second man shoved him. In the ensuing scuffles, one student from Hong Kong was tackled and grabbed by the throat; another had her shirt ripped open.

The next day, Chinese state media named Pavlou as a leader of the protest, and Xu Jie, Beijing’s consul general in Brisbane, praised the “spontaneous patriotic behavior” of those who attacked Pavlou.
It was an unusual statement for a diplomat, especially considering Xu’s other position: an adjunct professor at the university’s School of Languages and Cultures. His dual roles were an example of the increasingly close ties between Australian universities and China, their biggest source of international students.

The university didn’t chastise Xu for promoting violence. Instead, it defended its relationship with Beijing — and turned on one of its brightest students........
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: An Australian student denounced his university's ties to China. Then he became a target

Post by atst »

Somebody is looking for a permanent australian Visa I suspect
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: An Australian student denounced his university's ties to China. Then he became a target

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^^

Speaking of which, I noticed serpentza's videos are much more critical since he and his wife settled in the US. Still, I would've thought he'd have to be careful if his wife's family are still over there..
pauloxleyisland
Expatriate
Australia

Post by pauloxleyisland »

Story was done 6 months ago actually
I know the big words make your cock feel bigger, but I’m just an old truck driver keep it simple aye! 8)
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

I am not sure what motivates this Pavlou. I am suspicious of his motives.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

PS
On 11 June 2020, Pavlou launched a case against the University of Queensland, Chancellor Varghese, and former Vice-Chancellor Høj, seeking damages of A$3.5 million for an alleged breach of contract and defamation.
The case was lodged with the Supreme Court of Queensland. In a response to an ABC News inquiry, a UQ spokesperson said, "when we receive a formal notice of claim we will consider it and respond through the appropriate channels."[31] Pavlou announced the case on Twitter, saying he was "seeking damages for breach of contract, negligence, defamation, deceit and conspiracy" and that the case was "not about money".[32]

LOL
deluded loony

again..
In September 2020, the Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission (the big guns) declined a request by Pavlou to investigate Chancellor Varghese and former Vice-Chancellor Peter Høj, saying there was "insufficient evidence to suggest anyone who was subject of the complaint had engaged in corrupt conduct".
The university responded in a press statement that it was pleased by the findings, and that it had been advised by the commission that no action will be taken.[29]

serial deluded loonie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic