Reliable second hand car prices?

Have a car, truck, motorcycle, or bicycle you'd like to sell? List it here for free. Heck, you can even buy and sell tuktuks or your pink Scoopy here. Remember, you need a driver's license in Cambodia for cars, trucks, and any motorbike that's over 125cc. And always wear a helmet!
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Reliable second hand car prices?

Post by whiteribbon »

Is there a reliable place/site to check second hand car prices in Cambodia?

Little back story. Bought a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe 4 years ago. Had it serviced every 4 months at the Hyundai garage (unnecessarily much but I don’t like to be stranded on the side of the road). Never had a problem, has 77k km now but it’s a diesel so can easily do double and more again.

Went to garage last month, saw the new models which I liked but the part-exchange seemed very low. Want to compare with different places but since I don’t live in PP I don’t know where to go..
just noise, white noise
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Reliable second hand car prices?

Post by Spigzy »

And that's why you buy a Toyota or Lexus - buy it for $20k, sell it for $20k four years later. That said, check out Khmer24.com car section to get a rough idea, you might be surprised on how much your car has held some kind of value whereas in the West it'd be scrap metal.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by whiteribbon »

Spigzy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:16 pm And that's why you buy a Toyota or Lexus - buy it for $20k, sell it for $20k four years later. That said, check out Khmer24.com car section to get a rough idea, you might be surprised on how much your car has held some kind of value whereas in the West it'd be scrap metal.
Of course but that's the case all over the world you loose less value on second hand car. The problem here is that you don't know where that second hand car came from or what happened to it before. Thanks, I'll check out khmer24 tomorrow :bow:
just noise, white noise
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:31 pm Is there a reliable place/site to check second hand car prices in Cambodia?

Little back story. Bought a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe 4 years ago. Had it serviced every 4 months at the Hyundai garage (unnecessarily much but I don’t like to be stranded on the side of the road). Never had a problem, has 77k km now but it’s a diesel so can easily do double and more again.

Went to garage last month, saw the new models which I liked but the part-exchange seemed very low. Want to compare with different places but since I don’t live in PP I don’t know where to go..

There's a few thick monthly publications, kinda Khmer version of the auto trader from decades ago.

I find that to be good for a rule of thumb across different models and areas of Cambodia
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

whiteribbon wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:46 pm
Spigzy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:16 pm And that's why you buy a Toyota or Lexus - buy it for $20k, sell it for $20k four years later. That said, check out Khmer24.com car section to get a rough idea, you might be surprised on how much your car has held some kind of value whereas in the West it'd be scrap metal.
Of course but that's the case all over the world you loose less value on second hand car. The problem here is that you don't know where that second hand car came from or what happened to it before. Thanks, I'll check out khmer24 tomorrow :bow:
Yes but that's why it has its positives here also - no Khmer looking at your car will care who had it before you, how many miles it has done, or possibly even what state it is in - aside from a good clean inside & out. In fact they frown upon cars owned by Khmers, and would prefer a car previously owned by a foreigner in my experience. Cars retain their value way better here than anywhere I've seen, even second hand. In the west it is half the price the moment it goes off the forecourt, and then half again every year pretty much. I bought a Lexus 300 here in 2007/8 for $20k, and sold it for $19k maybe 3-4 years later. Bonkers.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic