Brits in France Mistake Catfood for Pate

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: Brits in France Mistake Catfood for Pate

Post by Ghostwriter »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:55 am I seem to remember that pate (the cheap stuff) does come in little tins like that; Pate au foie gras de canard is what I looked for in the supermarkets in Calais when I did the booze cruises. Lovely stuff and not expensive.
Is that still the case?
Sure. Paté is a mishmash of animals and condiments, so it's flavorable to anything meat-related, often also flavored with wine or cognac or other fine drinks.
Foie gras is the real thing, paté de foie-gras is something with a similar kind of taste, only with less duck in it, or less presentable pieces of duck used for the paté.
Some are very good, some are borderline catfood indeed.
Paté from wild animals have a stronger taste of course (deer, rabbit, boar....) and the upper level is paté de ragondin.

This is a ragondin.
ImageImage

You could check other similar stuff such as terrines, rillettes, salaisons....Vast is the concept of Charcuterie, so is the world of Bread, and infinite pleasure they shall bring when gloriously mixed at the kingdom of Wine.
Cheeses ? rinse, repeat, collapse.
Café ? Café.
Cake ? Sure.
Then pousse-café.
Then a little nap.

Aaaaaargh.
Anty
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anty »

Isn’t that a...nutria? That’s a nutria. It’s a giant rat basically.

But I mean that’s what y’all get for eating pate from tins. Got gobs of British etc friends and it all tastes like cat food so honestly well done old couple, life hack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I came across one of those in the early 90s in an industrial estate near Montpelier. I thought it was a beaver wandering on the road, so I picked it up with a towel or jacket or something and put it in a box the back of the car. It seemed quite tame. After a quick discussion with the missus we decided we couldn't keep this giant creature so we let it out near some toxic green lake nearby. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Anty wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:42 pm Isn’t that a...nutria? That’s a nutria. It’s a giant rat basically.
I think it's a muskrat, I've ate it a time or two out in the bayou around New Orleans, it's not bad kind of gamey, of course the Cajuns spiced the living fuck out of it.

Edit - curiously I looked up the difference and you're right, nutria have white whiskers, muskrats have black.
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Seasquatch wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:34 am
Anty wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:42 pm Isn’t that a...nutria? That’s a nutria. It’s a giant rat basically.
I think it's a muskrat, I've ate it a time or two out in the bayou around New Orleans, it's not bad kind of gamey, of course the Cajuns spiced the living fuck out of it.

Edit - curiously I looked up the difference and you're right, nutria have white whiskers, muskrats have black.
How to tell what you are eating:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coypu#Habitat_and_feeding
A coypu is often mistaken for a muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus), another widely dispersed, semiaquatic rodent that occupies the same wetland habitats. The muskrat, however, is smaller and more tolerant of cold climates, and has a laterally flattened tail it uses to assist in swimming, whereas the tail of a coypu is round. It can also be mistaken for a small beaver, as beavers and coypus have very similar anatomies. However, beavers' tails are flat and paddle-like, as opposed to the round tails of coypus
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Now i get it : They mixed "La patée"et "Le paté"

La patée (pour chat / pour chien - for cat / for dog) :

Le paté (for us humans)

I guess they've been a bit too quick on the google translation and got mixed up, when looking for the name on the tin can. I suppose there wasn't any animal on it...It must have been a real small shop though, both products are usually stored in very different aisles of the shops.

Beware of google translate in French...

Also :
- "mettre la patée a quelqu'un " -> put the patée to someone = beat-up someone / beat someone at something.
"Hey sac a foutre ! Je vais te foutre la patée ! " -> "Hey bag of sperm ! I'm going to throw the patée at you ! meaning : Hey cumsack, i'm gonna fuck you up !

- "etre dans le paté"-> to be in the paté -> being sleepy, having trouble to wake-up, being hangovered.
"Oh putain la gueule de bois, j'ai la tete dans le paté" -> Ow whore the wooden face, i have my head in ze paté ! meaning : Ow bloody hangover, my head is numb !

Also, this.
(Damn Englishes speaking at 1: 50 as we hear it)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Anty wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:42 pm
Isn’t that a...nutria? That’s a nutria. It’s a giant rat basically.

It is a giant French rat avec un bon coiffeur

canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Here the locals eat a similar form of cat food called Prohok.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

canucklhead wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:47 am Here the locals eat a similar form of cat food called Prohok.
Cats won't eat that shite...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic