Covid-19 VACCINE News

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Re: Covid-19 VACCINE News

Post by hburns »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:52 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:09 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am
xandreu wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm Experts warn vaccines are 'almost certainly less effective' at reducing transmission of Indian variant
Adding to concerns, Dr Harnden today revealed that Britain's vaccine rollout - hailed as the key to preventing another wave - may not stop the virus infecting the vulnerable.

He said the jab is not only 'less effective against mild disease', it is 'almost certainly less effective against transmission' - partly because immunisation only begins three weeks after the vaccine is given.
It seems that this is just going to go on and on and on... When will it ever end?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... riant.html
The Serum Institute of India has developed a vaccine that protects against the Indian variant.

It's called the PunJab
It doesn't protect. My friend had it and went on to catch that very same variant. He was in a korma for 2 weeks.
That's enough from you, dhal. He obviously didn't have the tikka for it. Antivaxxers will be having naan of it.
Shortly after receiving their jabs, 20% of men reported having a large bhuna
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

hburns wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:14 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:52 pm
xandreu wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:09 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:56 am
xandreu wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:05 pm Experts warn vaccines are 'almost certainly less effective' at reducing transmission of Indian variant

It seems that this is just going to go on and on and on... When will it ever end?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... riant.html
The Serum Institute of India has developed a vaccine that protects against the Indian variant.

It's called the PunJab
It doesn't protect. My friend had it and went on to catch that very same variant. He was in a korma for 2 weeks.
That's enough from you, dhal. He obviously didn't have the tikka for it. Antivaxxers will be having naan of it.
Shortly after receiving their jabs, 20% of men reported having a large bhuna
Oh dear... I regret starting all this.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Username Taken wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:24 pm Queensland scientists discover COVID-19 drug treatment
May 18, 2021

Here's a substantial report on the antiviral "missile" therapy developed in Queensland and US. Best guesstimate for when it might debut as an approved therapy is 2023.
Queensland researchers and a US team have developed an antiviral therapy that has killed off the COVID-19 viral load in infected mice by 99.9 per cent.

Lead researcher Professor Nigel McMillan, from Griffith University, called it a "seek and destroy mission" where the therapy genetically targeted the potentially deadly virus.
They used a "next-generation" viral approach using gene-silencing RNA technology to attack the virus genome directly, which stops the virus spreading.

"It causes the genome to be destroyed and the virus can't grow anymore — so we inject the nanoparticles and they go and find the virus and destroy it just like a heat-seeking missile," Professor McMillan said.

"This is the first time we have been able to package this up as a particle, send it through the blood stream to attack the virus.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-17/ ... /100144370
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

one silver lining of the pandemic
is that these next-gen rna and gene-therapy treatments are getting focus and investment

but personally, i'll wait for at least v2.0 before being injected with biological homing missiles
the china vaxes may be relatively ineffective, but they won't reprogram you

monstra mihi bona!
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Some very good news about the Pfizer/BioNTech shot against the Indian variant. And some OK news about the AZ's effectiveness against the same. But in both cases, it's very important to have had the TWO doses.

I'm only guessing but I would assume the other mRNA vaccine, the Moderna, would have a similar effectiveness profile as the BioNTech mRNA vaccine.

Headline: Two COVID shots effective against India variant - English health body
A study by Public Health England found the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was 88% effective against symptomatic disease from the B.1.617.2 [Indian] variant two weeks after the second dose.

That compared with 93% effectiveness against the B.1.1.7 "Kent" strain which is Britain's dominant COVID variant.
Two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were 60% effective against symptomatic disease from the Indian variant compared with 66% effectiveness against the Kent variant, PHE said.
https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-05-22/

However, maybe I will have to go home to get one of the mRNA vaccines, which dominate the inoculation choices in Canada. It seems they are effective against all COVID variants discovered so far.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

A recent Suan Dusit poll asked people for their confidence in #COVID19 vaccine:
1. Pfizer 75.11%
2. Moderna 72.14%
3. Johnson & Johnson 68.52%
4. AstraZeneca 65.89%
5. Sputnik V 61.89%
* Sinovac didn't make it in the top five

I'll be waiting for the Pfizer or Moderna, even if i need pay
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:32 pm A recent Suan Dusit poll asked people for their confidence in #COVID19 vaccine:
1. Pfizer 75.11%
2. Moderna 72.14%
3. Johnson & Johnson 68.52%
4. AstraZeneca 65.89%
5. Sputnik V 61.89%
* Sinovac didn't make it in the top five

I'll be waiting for the Pfizer or Moderna, even if i need pay
Me too. However, Richard Barrow just posted a very assured statement, which I queried and am waiting for a reply, we won't see the Moderna mRNA vaccine till year-end:
For the free national roll-out, you cannot choose. It is either going to be Sinovac (which is the main one now) or AstraZeneca (which is the main one in June). For others you either have to fly abroad or wait until the end of the year for private hospitals to sell them #Thailand
I have a feeling that this is how the Moderna arrival will play out. Heck, I think AZ doses will be late arriving and in low numbers for a long time. Every day I feel more confident I'm destined to return to Canada for my shots.
Last edited by ExPenhMan on Sun May 23, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I prefer science to the "feelings" of mostly unvaccinated Thais in a media poll.
JAKARTA (BLOOMBERG) - Sinovac Biotech Ltd's vaccine is wiping out Covid-19 among health workers in Indonesia, an encouraging sign for the dozens of developing countries reliant on the controversial Chinese shot, which performed far worse than Western vaccines in clinical trials.

Indonesia tracked 25,374 health workers in capital city Jakarta for 28 days after they received their second dose and found that the vaccine protected 100 per cent of them from death and 96 per cent from hospitalisation as soon as seven days after, said Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin in an interview on Tuesday (May 11). The workers were tracked until late February.

Mr Sadikin also said that 94 per cent of the workers had been protected against infection - an extraordinary result that goes beyond what was measured in the shot's numerous clinical trials - though it's unclear if the workers were uniformly screened to detect asymptomatic carriers.

"We see a very, very drastic drop," in hospitalisations and deaths among medical workers, Mr Sadikin said.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... orld-study
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

nemo wrote:I prefer science to the "feelings" of mostly unvaccinated Thais in a media poll.
JAKARTA (BLOOMBERG) - Sinovac Biotech Ltd's vaccine is wiping out Covid-19 among health workers in Indonesia, an encouraging sign for the dozens of developing countries reliant on the controversial Chinese shot, which performed far worse than Western vaccines in clinical trials.

Indonesia tracked 25,374 health workers in capital city Jakarta for 28 days after they received their second dose and found that the vaccine protected 100 per cent of them from death and 96 per cent from hospitalisation as soon as seven days after, said Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin in an interview on Tuesday (May 11). The workers were tracked until late February.

Mr Sadikin also said that 94 per cent of the workers had been protected against infection - an extraordinary result that goes beyond what was measured in the shot's numerous clinical trials - though it's unclear if the workers were uniformly screened to detect asymptomatic carriers.

"We see a very, very drastic drop," in hospitalisations and deaths among medical workers, Mr Sadikin said.
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... orld-study
I don't think Richard likes science and evidence based peer-reviewed research. He prefers polls about people's feelings and Facebook posts from friends.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You guys might be willing to keep yourselves at risk for another 6-12 months in the hope you can get a supposed "better" vaccine, but I'll be taking whatever they offer me as soon as they offer it. I'm more than ready to live a normal life again. Holding out on a vaccine isn't going to help, it only slows progress against the virus.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic