Insurance

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
potty
Expatriate

Re: Insurance

Post by potty »

this german link... it sayw 1.25 euro per day, that would be 450 euro per year!

how outrageous for an accident-insurance...
and its only health.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i am starting to get some prices now ranging from usd 80-120/month. accident, medevac, hospitalization, theft, death benefit, travel.

seems a pretty good deal.

after age 65 the options get considerably less.
djones
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by djones »

Mine was about $600 for 12 months so undercuts that price but obviously you'd have to compare cover and delivering the goods in an emergency
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

i met a german guy in pochentong that was badly banged up on his way to bangkok for treatment.
they did not want to let him board.

he told me he thought he was going to die at calmette.

$50-100/month seems cheaper than dying.

death puts a hell of a dent in one's earning potential.
djones
Expatriate
Bahamas

Post by djones »

Elvis et al did pretty good post-mortem;-)
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

frank lee bent wrote:i met a german guy in pochentong that was badly banged up on his way to bangkok for treatment.
they did not want to let him board.

he told me he thought he was going to die at calmette.

$50-100/month seems cheaper than dying.

death puts a hell of a dent in one's earning potential.
If you are ever going to try to board a plane in this situation - injured or sick and trying to get to medical help - do your best to hide the sickness or injury. It is airline policy to refuse boarding to anybody with a medical problem in need of treatment, even one that is only apparently so, without a medical clearance letter or accompanying medical personnel.

Medical evac from Phnom Penh to Bangkok or Singapore runs about US$15,000-$30,000 and in lack of insurance they expect payment in advance. If you don't have insurance or cash, and you need evac to save your life, expect to die in that clinic or maybe out on the street in front where they dump you.

I use Aetna. Have since 1996 (though the company - ExpatCare, GoodHealth, etc - has changed hands a few times and Aetna is the most recent owner). I've had to make claims a few times. Never evac, but a few major bills including a $10,000 hit, and they always paid promptly and without complaint.

This year there was a significant jump in the cost of Aetna insurance. I may at least do some comparison shopping before resigning next year.

One possible option if you want to bring down costs is to buy evac insurance alone without the medical insurance. While the cost of evac is nuts, the price of medical care is pretty nominal in SEA. If you feel you might be able to handle the medical costs on your own, just buy evac insurance so you aren't trapped and dying in Calmette of something that is treatable in Bangkok.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

I cannot find an insurer to give me EVAC alone. They keep telling me that it will cost more just getting EVAC which makes no sense.

Also read the fine print! I was about to go with A+ Until I took a microscope to it. All bullshit. Now Im back to the hunt. Really nothing I can find that suites me price range also.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

StroppyChops wrote:We use 1Cover which is underwritten by Allianz but you need to be 'Strayan to qualify.
Just looked at that but seems like travel insurance rather than expatriate cover.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Great post LTO.

That's right, Kuroneko, we use what LTO suggested to get the evac cover, death of loved one, trip resumption etc. and pay our own daily medical costs. 1Cover is aware that we're doing this and don't seem to have an issue extending the policy.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic