This post aimed at those living in or have left Siem Reap recently

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

This post aimed at those living in or have left Siem Reap recently

Post by Ozinasia »

I've lived in Phnom Penh going on 5 years and not been to Siem Reap in over 10 years.
prior to living in Cambodia I lived in Thailand over 8 years had three different houses there and all had a swimming pool. Not great only for entertainment and obviously cooling off but more importantly for exercise fast approaching 65 now and my home in PP has no pool my god I miss it and the body is showing it, not just aging but lack of exercise.
For me swimming has now peaked in the level of importance in my daily routine.
My lease has expired now and at $1,500 a month for this very nice 2 bedroom apt I am in, I'll miss the River views I have but I've been lured into considering the move to Siem Reap where I've been offered a stunning 4 bed private Villa with a magnificent pool for less money asking $1,500 but I can get it $1,200.
The decision is all but made and I'll venture there by end of the month to look around. I understand the road works now are deplorable but wont need to venture out that much the house looks like an oasis big garden loads of trees and pool.

I've been reading every thread I can find but I have no access to the nightlife area so not much I can find on local hangs.
I am single although I have a company assistant lives with me totally plutonic along with her son so the bigger place is needed.

I enjoy very much a few drinks or at least did prior all this Covid BS in Street 104 and Steet 130 ... not so much 136 (to loud and Rappy for me) From what I've read there is little similar in Siem Reap to "say" Street 104 the walking street appears to be more Street 136 ish .... my question then is there a street with some laid back not "rap crap" bars one can partake of some G&T's in the company of some friendly girls ?

My other concerns if anyone can help ;
1. I posted in another thread I'll miss sorely Super Duper store as that is my go to Grocery, being an Aussie I like my meat pies, sausage rolls and lamington's and so on I can usually get there
how does the Lucky there compare to Lucky in PP can you get most stuff there ? I see they have also a Macro is it similar to the Macro in PP ? not that I go there often. Am thinking perhaps I may need to buy a good freezer and make a once a month trip to PP and stock up.

2. My car is a Jaguar older model but I love it so anyone know of a decent mechanic in Siem Reap that can work on imported cars ? it runs fine but being a jag does require tweaking every now and then.

3. Moving truck anyone used one that they were happy with ? would need one large enough to move a 2 bed apartment double door ref, pool table etc etc so maybe 4 workers what did they charge ? any links ie face book page or what have you ....

4. have 12 year old living with us need to go school am told near by is ;
FBIS international school is there another calld ABA (same name as bank ? )

anyone know or used either ? ok ? happy with them ? any idea on yearly rates ?
he has not attended school in the longest time now and I feel he may need a tutor if anyone can recommend a private tutor in Siem Reap prefer a local or Filipina he doesn't speak Khmer .

5. A good immigration agent to update visas . I have a good guy her in street 110 who I've used for years $300 once a year drop off passport 48 hours later have one year visa for all 3 of us no questions ask not paperwork easy peasy if cannot get a recommendation probably worth the trip back to PP and stick with who I know ?

would certainly appreciate any responses or pointers the good the bad the ugly ......
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: This post aimed at those living in or have left Siem Reap recently

Post by ExPenhMan »

Some CEO board members live in SR so they will be along soon, I imagine.

Seems to me some Siem Reap expat groups on FB would be a good start to get your answers. This one -- Expats and Locals Living in Siem Reap -- is full of house and apartment rentals. I saw one house with a pool:

https://web.facebook.com/groups/900185676717876/

Another expat group: Siem Reap Expats & Locals:

https://web.facebook.com/groups/267683863384653
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Had a bit of a browse through these yes excellent place to start thanks for the pointer never gae face book a thought as I never use it seems I may need to start.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

I hate to send new customers to Fraudbook but the expat groups are helpful, although they have a high noise to signal ratio.

Have you seen the videos of the street reconstruction in SR? It's pretty dismal. Here's a link to an ongoing almost daily tour of Mudhole City:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLONee ... FuloSR-3bg
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

My little guy goes to school here , i found out during the video conference why he don’t like school .
All the teachers sing a song as they talk. , I nowcan understand why he watches cartoons in russian or korean now ..
So I can point you in the direction of many of them ( phillipines)
( I don’t know what they do now but they still wear the school uniforms)
.. teachers here
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Agree on fakebook but it does serve a purpose in this case for sure from finding Aussie style sausages to gas tank delivery ....
yes those roads look ghastly ... leave the Jag at home and get a tuk tuk till its done maybe the way to go ... looks like a good years work left thats a down side but the promise of being able to start laps of the pool daily over rides the mess of the streets and they should be good when done.
ref schools the little blokes mum is Filipina and generally they do make good teachers and nurses.
Just want a decent school not far from the house doesn't need to be 5 star he is just a average bloke but a good kid.
House I am looking at is in Sala Kamreuk district, walking distance away from Old Market/Night Market Area I have NO idea what this area is like at all till I can get there.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

IMO, go check the place out first before you commit. You've been in Cambodia for some time, so do I need to say this ? You know that if the road to your dream house is totally inaccessible apart from a wooden plank, or if there is a construction site next door, the owners will not tell you this in advance.
Renting a place without seeing it first is a big no-no for me. Sometimes the photos are old and out-of-date, and buildings and swimming pools age quickly here.
On the upside, Siem Reap has some beautiful properties and the market is good for renters. By moving now you may get a super bargain. Good luck.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Thanks yes goes without saying look before you leap god only knows what road and neighbors are like so yes. I lived on a dirt road before and the dust in summer and mud in the the wet made the place a nightmare also having a workshop next door or worse a karaoke :shock: My reason for asking here first is so when I do get there I can have a list of places to look at also such as supermarkets I don't know about , school etc, spend a night if bars have reopened maybe. Believe it or not a decent local bar/s is kinda important for me to relax . I didn't know they had "Smile store" there for example and they often carry some Super Duper stuff like pies, soft drinks like Bundaberg Ginger beer etc so looking good so far, I'll pay that store a visit ... I am making a list.
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

Hi Oz in Asia. Let me answer a few points as I am a Siem Reap resident.

Bars – nothing like Phnom Penh. A few bars on Soksan Road with cheap beer, cheap clientele and even cheaper women. Not writing from any personal experience but I can tell enough when passing by and from the type of people who hang out there! You might like a slightly classier bar called Charms Apero, run by a Belgian who used to have a bar in Pattaya I think. They have hostess girls.
Schools – won’t be the same quality as Phnom Penh but I’m sure cheaper here. Try looking at ACE, Shine, ISSR, API. Don’t look at ABA. That is indeed a bank!
Roads – yes, the town is a complete mess. Of course, things will be a lot better in 6-12 months time. The Jag might be able to roll around a few roads!
Salakamroeuk Commune – one of the nicest areas to live. A short drive or long walk to the town usually. As someone pointed out the most charming house won’t be satisfying if it’s at the end of a muddy road so narrow the Jag won’t fit down it.
Shopping – The 3 Angkor Markets around town have almost as much as Lucky. Maybe less options but surprisingly a better range of brews. Not much in the way of ‘gourmet’ shops where Phnom Penh wins. But if you know what you want most goods can be sent same day up to Siem Reap.
Pies – I love the pies at a Kiwi run bar, Jungle Burger. A few restaurants have from other suppliers or make their own so you should be ok.
Agent – Sopheak Na Travel is good for most visa updates. I’ve used her for the last 4 years for business visa renewals and all was fine. Before I used the Lucky Motorbike shop in Phnom Penh.

Come take a look around Siem Reap for a week before committing to the move!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

excellent thanks Stevito, if I make the move I'll certainly try and hook and buy you a beer or a coffee .. cheers .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic