Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Nicolas »

cambo swa wrote:
Alex wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:03 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:47 pm The state of Goa in India is starting a programme of …/… me this large scale trial though, whatever the outcome will be.
First, Merck does not have its own Covid vaccine but it does have a large contract manufacturing agreement to produce the Janssen/J&J vaccine.
Also, perhaps Cambodia already has a large population given ivermectin. In many of the provinces and villages parasites are a significant health risk, especially hookworm in children. Many health centers require semiannual/annual administration of ivermectin to control multiple parasites in the local populations, not just children.
Ivermectin pills for parasite treatment are 0.125mg to 0.3mg. For preventing Covid it’s something like 50 or 100 times more. 0.3mg per kilo if I remember well, so I don’t think my last semester worm pill will save me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Nicolas wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:55 pm
Ivermectin pills for parasite treatment are 0.125mg to 0.3mg. For preventing Covid it’s something like 50 or 100 times more. 0.3mg per kilo if I remember well, so I don’t think my last semester worm pill will save me right now.
Ivermectin is dosed for all therapeutics at 0.2mg (or thereabouts) per kg body weight, so not 100x more - it's the same dosage for Covid.
Drugs.com refers.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:28 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:55 pm
Ivermectin is dosed for all therapeutics at 0.2mg (or thereabouts) per kg body weight, so not 100x more - it's the same dosage for Covid.
Drugs.com refers.
Yes, at the local clinic here a 50kg Cambodian is dosed with 9 mg. So 0.2 is accurate as tablets are 3 mg each rounded to 9 mg. I do not know about here but I think western prices for Ivermectin are about $2-$3 per 3 mg (probably going up now that it is the new voodoo cure for Covid). So 50-100 times that could be expensive.
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Ok understood.
I bought ivermectin at the Aeon Mall pharmacy and it was 1 pill in a box, just that. 0.3mg and that’s it for worm treatment.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Covid: Taiwan orders toughest curbs amid infections spike
Published 3 hours ago
BBC
Taiwan's government has imposed its toughest restrictions so far, as the island tries to battle a spike in Covid-19 cases.

The authorities are shutting down cinemas and entertainment venues until 28 May, while limiting gatherings to five indoors and 10 outdoors.

President Tsai Ing-wen urged the public not to panic-buy basic necessities.

Taiwan - which has so far survived the pandemic almost unscathed - on Sunday reported 207 new infections.

The island of 23 million people has recorded 1,682 infections and 12 Covid-related deaths since the start of the pandemic.

Taiwan's impressive success battling the coronavirus has been largely attributed to early and strict border controls, a ban on foreign visitors and mandatory quarantine for all Taiwanese returning home.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57135647
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Outbreak of Unidentified Coronavirus In China as New Year Approaches

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:05 pm
Kinetic wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:00 pm Would it be a bad idea to plan a travel in Cambodia for end february? Seriously.
Give it a couple of weeks. The infections in China might have peaked by then. Alternatively, they could keep climbing and substantial infections across this whole region will start to get reported, in which case we will be off to the races.

Personally I am leaning towards this whole thing burning itself out by the end of February, but I am thinking about plan B if the numbers just keep growing...
Hahahaha, if only.

(sorry, I was just revisiting the start of this thread)
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 am
Kinetic wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:00 pm Would it be a bad idea to plan a travel in Cambodia for end february? Seriously.
Give it a couple of weeks. The infections in China might have peaked by then. Alternatively, they could keep climbing and substantial infections across this whole region will start to get reported, in which case we will be off to the races.

Personally I am leaning towards this whole thing burning itself out by the end of February, but I am thinking about plan B if the numbers just keep growing...
Hahahaha, if only.

Ha ha, oh that was wishful thinking.

By the end of February plan B was in action and I was very glad to be leaving Cambodia, it was definitely not the country to be in (hopelessly wrong again) and off on my South American adventure which would be the safest place to be ( :facepalm: ).

By March 18th I was in London - just about the worst place in the world to be - with a fist full of useless plane reservations.

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:55 am
timmydownawell wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 am

Hahahaha, if only.

Ha ha, oh that was wishful thinking.

By the end of February plan B was in action and I was very glad to be leaving Cambodia, it was definitely not the country to be in (hopelessly wrong again) and off on my South American adventure which would be the safest place to be ( :facepalm: ).

By March 18th I was in London - just about the worst place in the world to be - with a fist full of useless plane reservations.

It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble, it's what you know for sure that just ain't so
Alex had the best take on just Page 2:
Alex wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:52 am The timing couldn't be worse, with the Lunar New Year just ahead. Considering how many Chinese will travel around on that occasion, this could really get nasty.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

yong wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:31 am Just my personal opinion from personal experience and encounters with the local common Chinese citizens -

1. If the Communist government of China say say dont worry I will be super worried

2. If the Chinese Communist government say its under control I'd think they're really fucked

3. There is this.Chinese saying "if their words can be believed, shit can be eaten"
This is my favourite quote @timmydownawell
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

Post by jah steu »

I’d always wondered whether achieving herd immunity against such a pervasive virus was actually possible. This article discusses that and what our world will be like if we can’t quite achieve it. It seems it will be ok.

https://theconversation.com/herd-immuni ... ngs-160228

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic