The Serpent

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: The Serpent

Post by siliconlife »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 am
A good place to first mention this, with scepticism hanging thick in the air.
I am writing up my story right now. Hard to tell the full15 mins in less than 10 pages,
I have never put it down before and i want set the scene, and put in a bit of the context and flavour too. I'll edit as hard as i can.

15 mins, approx 10pm, some street, Bangkok, approx Sept 7, 1975.
It will take a couple of days.
(and as usual, i'll swear on the bible)
Still waiting, Stern! :please:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Yeah. Thanks for the nudge, Sill.
'Hard to write up. I keep wanting to turn a 10/15 minute meeting into a book about the hippy trail. lol
And this kinda topic tends to send me into deep introspection - i get into endless re-examinations of my responses.
I started posting again today to help get back into the communicating mode.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Kathmandu, April 25

Popular Netflix Series on Charles Sobhraj, The Serpent, has got an important bit of information on how he was arrested in Kathmandu wrong.
Charles Sobhraj, who has been cooling his heels in a Kathmandu prison since September 2003, was arrested after The Himalayan Times published a scoop on his presence in Kathmandu. However, the Netflix docudrama, which has filmed other events on the notorious serial killer's life as they happened and has not claimed it is a work of fiction, has got wrong a vital piece of information on his arrest that eventually led to his conviction for murders of a Canadian backpacker (Laurent Carriere) and his American friend (Connie Jo Bronzich) that he committed in Nepal in 1975.
The eighth episode of the eight-part Netflix series shows Sobhraj landing at Tribhuwan International Airport and getting himself photographed outside the airport the very day he landed. It aims to give the impression that Sobhraj planted the story himself in a fictitious newspaper, Rashmi Report, and got himself arrested.
https://thehimalayantimes.com/kathmandu ... arceration
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I also doubted that he arranged to have himself pictured at the airport. We will probably never know the real reason why he went back to Nepal where he was still wanted ?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Interesting...
'Serpent' a huge TV draw
BBC and Netflix's tale of backpacker murders in the seventies proves a hit
published : 16 May 2021 at 04:00
The Netflix limited series The Serpent has revisited the crime spree of conman and killer Charles Sobhraj who was linked to the unsolved murders of Western tourists on the so-called Hippie Trail of Southeast Asia in the early 1970s.

The Serpent is a co-production between BBC One and Netflix and made by the UK-based Mammoth Screen. The series is based on the true story of merciless serial killer Sobhraj (played by Tahar Rahim), who was born to a Vietnamese mother and an Indian father in Vietnam.

He was nicknamed "The Serpent" because of his snake-like ability to avoid detection by authorities. He travelled to many countries while stationed in Bangkok and had a partner who was madly in love with him and helped him murder his victims who were all Western backpackers.

It is believed that Sobhraj killed at least 20 tourists in South Asia including 14 in Thailand. Currently, he is 77 years old and has been serving a life sentence in Kathmandu, Nepal, since 2004.

After the Bangkok Post printed a front-page story in 1976 titled "Web of Death", reporting on the killing spree, Thai police issued an Interpol notice seeking his arrest.

The series focuses on Sobhraj's crimes in Thailand and the dedication of Bangkok-based Dutch diplomat Herman Knippenberg (played by Billy Howle in the series) to unmask the criminal mastermind. It quickly gained a big following among Thai viewers.

Actor and singer Teerapat "Tui" Sajjakul plays the role of Pol Col Sompol Suthimai, a Thai Interpol officer who joins the investigation later in the crime drama.

Even though the role of Pol Col Sompol in the miniseries is minor, his work eventually put Sobhraj on Interpol's radar and triggered the manhunt for him and his partner Marie-Andree Leclerc (Jenna Coleman).

More than 40 years later, the Bangkok Post interviewed Pol Col Sompol, whose rank is now Pol Maj Gen, in light of the mounting interest in the crimes following the broadcast of the series.
Continued here: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/sp ... ge-tv-draw
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic