The Tragic Data Behind Selfie Fatalities

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Re: The Tragic Data Behind Selfie Fatalities

Post by siliconlife »

While I am as disgusted by selfies as this article is, the shark attack correlation is ridiculous. 16 people die from shark attacks a year. In fact it seems fair enough in the cycle of nature - not that I don't care for those 16 human lives. I once saw a video of Indonesian shark hunters going on a revenge mission by baiting sharks and putting wooden wedges into their mouths, before sticking poisonous urchins into their splayed jaws and watching dozens of sharks sink to a venomous death, in the space of a few days. Now, today hundreds of sharks become entangled in plastic debris each year, causing barnacle infestation and thus spinal damage, not to mention the breakdown of microplastics in the ocean that affects all aquatic lifeforms. And to compare that to the scourge of mindwarping dystopian technological devices is not a comparison, it's a contrast. Episode 2 of the newest season of Black Mirror is a great portrayal of how our lives are being corrupted by the Internet (and also classic-style Black Mirror, as opposed to the other two episodes, in my opinion). Smartphones are deadly, in many more ways than selfies. We don't know what we're fucking with here, reminiscent of the industrial revolution. I remember someone saying, forget the neural implants, the next thing we're going to see is smartphones embedded into our hands. An interesting thought.

#hunter-gatherer revival? Do we really need white teeth and painful deaths from cancer? I don't know...

This is all against my point though... I agree with the article. I just wish we had better journalism these days. Apologise for the slightly drunken rant.
CaptainNemo
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by CaptainNemo »

Journalists get paid fuck all, think of them more as trolls and clickbait touts, like the girls that try to get you to come into a bar in any southeast asian whorenucopia.
I'm not like other boys...
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

At least 7 dead in Indonesia boat selfie accident
published : 16 May 2021 at 18:18
AFP
Seven Indonesians drowned after an overloaded boat capsized because of tourists attempting a selfie in a reservoir on Java island, police said Sunday.

The accident happened when all 20 passengers suddenly moved to the one side of the vessel to take a group photo on Saturday in the Boyolali regency, said Central Java police chief Ahmad Lutfi.

"The cause of the accident was overcapacity," Lutfi told reporters.

"The 20 people took a selfie on the right side then the boat lost balance and flipped."
https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/21166 ... e-accident
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic