Pol Pot's Secret Bunker

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
MrB
Expatriate
Great Britain

Pol Pot's Secret Bunker

Post by MrB »

Pol Pot's Secret Bunker

A hell of a find, the dictator who was responsible for over 2 million deaths last refuge in the mountains. In beautiful jungle it was a really surreal experience.

Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Pol Pot's Secret Bunker

Post by Ong Tay »

Fascinating - thanks for sharing!
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Great video that, while very condensed and devoid of a lot of detail, explains the whole episode in a very easy to understand and succinct way.

I find these types of videos very difficult to watch. They invoke both terror and rage in me.

Terror, because there were so many men able (and in some/many cases, willing) to carry out such unspeakable acts of torture and evil, which brings into question the true nature of humanity itself. When we go for a stroll to the shops, we take it for granted that the people we pass, on the whole, are peaceful, gentle and relatively kind. Yet under the right circumstances, those very same people have the ability (and sometimes, willingness) to swing babies and children by their legs and smash their skulls into tree trunks. Truly terrifying.
(I'm talking about humanity in general. The same could be said about many countries / conflicts)

And rage, because it's simply incomprehensible to me that one man, one human being, can have the ego, audacity and sheer indulgence to believe they have the power to decide who deserves to live and who deserves to die. There has been, and still are, far too many sad, lonely, insecure little boys with mummy issues who somehow, somehow manage to build an army that they can hide behind, believe that they have the authority to play God simply because they have the guns and you don't, and act with complete impunity in front of a world that does little to stop them, when we all know they would not last 10 minutes on their own in a British town centre late on a Friday night once the passing pedestrians were made aware of their despicable crimes. It's why I find it difficult to follow what's happening in Myanmar and stay calm.

Nothing enrages me more than small boys with big toys. Unfortunately, history is littered with them.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I was there 3 years ago, its a nice day-trip from Siem Reap, about 3 hours drinving, and you literally go on top of the thai-border. There was the Ta Moks house, wich had also some khmer-food available at lunch-time, its a bit hard to find, but its accutually on google maps as Anlong veng peace centre !! Worth the trip, definitely !!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic