Traveling Heavy

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Re: Traveling Heavy

Post by Jack.R. »

If you are moving a lot of stuff and are flying back to to a western country it might make sense to send your stuff as air cargo a week before you fly and walk to the cargo terminal to collect your stuff when you arrive. You will need to fill some Customs forms and clearly state that it is personal belongings so not to pay tax.
Not reccomended on the way to cambodia due to general customs fucktardery.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

Jack.R. wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:43 pm If you are moving a lot of stuff and are flying back to to a western country it might make sense to send your stuff as air cargo a week before you fly and walk to the cargo terminal to collect your stuff when you arrive. You will need to fill some Customs forms and clearly state that it is personal belongings so not to pay tax.
Yea i considered doing this if i was going to keep more possessions, I know a lot of people do it, but i decided to try to mobilize my entire life into several bags as opposed to moving everything i own somewhere, im not going home but to another foreign country. Most airlines ream you on the luggage charges, especially the non-American ones but thats life.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Jack.R. wrote:If you are moving a lot of stuff and are flying back to to a western country it might make sense to send your stuff as air cargo a week before you fly and walk to the cargo terminal to collect your stuff when you arrive. You will need to fill some Customs forms and clearly state that it is personal belongings so not to pay tax.
What's the general cost per KG?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Matty9999 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:03 pm Taking off next Friday May 21, to Europe with a swing by to Egypt.. and a few refueling stops...
If you don't mind sharing, which country in Europe are you headed to?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Matty9999 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:53 pm
No the Mekong is so gross, so i dare not put my boat down in that. Better luck in Mexico.
Well, Phooey to you too
Come back and we'll eat yo Montezuma's arse pipe rivers for breakfast

(just jivin', Have good trip.
'sorry you missed the good bits)
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

yongchi wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am
Matty9999 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:03 pm Taking off next Friday May 21, to Europe with a swing by to Egypt.. and a few refueling stops...
Serbia only bc they had the cheapest intercontinental airfares, but also because the EU or Schengen zone is currently closed, well mostly for Americans looking to as tourists. Some other countries are open around there, namely Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, and others possibly. For us, its better to go to some place that is not the schengen zone because that only allows 90 days without a visa as a tourist, theres some other places around there that offer longer. But for the airfares from Cambodia, ive seen some of the fares shoot up to $2000 or more, with economy being $700 to $4000, and first class $3000 to $10000 thats pretty steep given that some fares in asia are $30 without luggage, and for me i had to find an airline that would charge me a reasonable fee. I was also able to a alliance ticket that checked me in straight through to my final destination without get off, go through customs, then go to the next counter and get rechecked in, that would be ridiculous.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:02 am
Jack.R. wrote:If you are moving a lot of stuff and are flying back to to a western country it might make sense to send your stuff as air cargo a week before you fly and walk to the cargo terminal to collect your stuff when you arrive. You will need to fill some Customs forms and clearly state that it is personal belongings so not to pay tax.
I'm not sure from Cambodia but i did this with an apartments worth of stuff from Rio de Janeiro to Melbourne in 2011 and it cost me more then my flight.
Jack.R.
Expatriate

Post by Jack.R. »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:02 am
It is like asking how long is a piece of string.
MANY variables prices vary from destination to destination, availability of flights, amount of material you send, it's volume etc...
I have a decent amount experience with air cargo so I get good rates since the airlines know that i wont be sending things that aren't allowed.
Recently i sent about 1 ton of cargo to Switzerland for 5.5$~/Kg including an agent to run my customs papers and delivery to destination but before covid when many more planes were flying around it was cheaper. However a Chinese guy sending on the same route and the same type of cargo at the same time always offered 8$/Kg from a broker.
So it really varies a lot. Some destinations can be very cheap and some outrageously expensive (for example sending air cargo to the seychells islands now that passenger planes aren't flying will be very expensive but return air cargo space from cambodia to China will likely be very cheap)
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

Matty9999 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:52 pm
yongchi wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am
Serbia only bc they had the cheapest intercontinental airfares, but also because the EU or Schengen zone is currently closed, well mostly for Americans looking to as tourists. Some other countries are open around there, namely Albania, Croatia, Montenegro, and others possibly. For us, its better to go to some place that is not the schengen zone because that only allows 90 days without a visa as a tourist, theres some other places around there that offer longer. But for the airfares from Cambodia, ive seen some of the fares shoot up to $2000 or more, with economy being $700 to $4000, and first class $3000 to $10000 thats pretty steep given that some fares in asia are $30 without luggage, and for me i had to find an airline that would charge me a reasonable fee. I was also able to a alliance ticket that checked me in straight through to my final destination without get off, go through customs, then go to the next counter and get rechecked in, that would be ridiculous.
Many thanks for sharing. Sounds really interesting. I am looking forward to hearing more about Serbia.
With your luggage, I can sea why checking in multiple times could become a nightmare.

Another place that comes to mind is Georgia. I hear they have some nice places along the Black Sea. Also, Americans, EU-citizens, and citizens of quite a few other countries can stay for a year. I am not sure what Covid travel restrictions are in place though.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

I flunked my first covid flight. The test was too far back in time to allow me entry into Serbia, actually only by a few hours, sux royally, ive rescheduled for about 12 days from now, rebooking fee of $3.80.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic