UK News, Updates and Discussion

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Re: UK News, Updates and Discussion

Post by hburns »

I think the UK government can learn from the Cambodian government here.

In Bolton, attention has been focused on just a handful of neighbourhoods to the south of town centre - Rumworth, Deane and Great Lever.

Lockdown those neighbourhoods and barricade the roads. Although I suspect its already too late, this may control the spread of this variant and protect the whole population having to suffer as a result of those people not isolating with their households as they were trusted to do to protect their communities and the country as a whole.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

Train company apologises for ‘non-binary’ announcement
A train company has issued an apology after a commuter took to Twitter to slam a procedure on board – but the move has angered some.

Richard Moriarty, The Sun

MAY 14, 202112:59PM

I

A train company has apologised for not being inclusive after a conductor welcomed passengers on board with, “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls.”

The London North Eastern Railway issued an apology after passenger Laurence Coles complained on social media, The Sun reports.

Coles tweeted: “‘Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls …’ so as a non-binary person this announcement doesn’t actually apply to me so I won’t listen.”

Laurence’s friend Charlotte Monroe, 28, also contacted the company, saying: “I was sat with Laurence when this tweet was sent. Both of us are non-binary, and we were both alarmed and uncomfortable by the lack of inclusion.”

The London North Eastern Railway issued a grovelling apology after passenger Laurence Coles complained

LNER responded saying: “I’m really sorry to see this, Laurence, our Train Managers should not be using language like this, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

“Please could you let me know which service you are on and I will ensure they remain as inclusive as we strive to be at LNER.

“We’ve been working very hard with educating our people on why gender specific pronouns are not suitable in instances like these, and we’re sorry to see this has not been applied here.

“It is entirely valid for someone who does not identify with the terms used to feel excluded and as a business we do not accept that anyone should feel excluded.”

But the apology was not welcomed by all passengers with some blasting the move.

LNER responded saying: ‘I’m really sorry to see this, Laurence, our Train Managers should not be using language like this’.

“When, oh when, will this mindless idiocy end?” British actor James Dreyfus responded.

An LNER spokesperson said: “We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all that we do for our customers, colleagues and communities.

“Our policies and procedures are reviewed regularly and in light of recent comments, we will review if any further changes need to be made.”

Transport for London ordered staff not to use “ladies and gentlemen” in 2017 to prevent staff from offending transgender passengers on London’s bus, Tube and rail network.

On Wednesday, former Prime Minister Tony Blair hit out at Britain’s “woke” culture, saying: “People are suspicious that behind the agenda of many of the culture warriors on the left lies an ideology they find alien and extreme.”

Laurence, who works as a guard for South Western Railway and is also a LGBTQI+ rep for both the RMT union and the Labour Party in Tooting, south London, didn’t want to comment when contacted by The Sun.

Charlotte works as an instructor signaller for London Underground and was a founder of the Progress Train group which promotes LGBTQI+ diversity and inclusivity across the railway industry.

Well I should have been feeling discriminated against as well as I would not meet the classification of a "Gentleman". Bit too rough around the edges for that. :hattip:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Arget wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:13 pm Train company apologises for ‘non-binary’ announcement
A train company has issued an apology after a commuter took to Twitter to slam a procedure on board – but the move has angered some.

Richard Moriarty, The Sun

MAY 14, 202112:59PM

I

A train company has apologised for not being inclusive after a conductor welcomed passengers on board with, “Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls.”

The London North Eastern Railway issued an apology after passenger Laurence Coles complained on social media, The Sun reports.

Coles tweeted: “‘Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls …’ so as a non-binary person this announcement doesn’t actually apply to me so I won’t listen.”

Laurence’s friend Charlotte Monroe, 28, also contacted the company, saying: “I was sat with Laurence when this tweet was sent. Both of us are non-binary, and we were both alarmed and uncomfortable by the lack of inclusion.”

The London North Eastern Railway issued a grovelling apology after passenger Laurence Coles complained

LNER responded saying: “I’m really sorry to see this, Laurence, our Train Managers should not be using language like this, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

“Please could you let me know which service you are on and I will ensure they remain as inclusive as we strive to be at LNER.

“We’ve been working very hard with educating our people on why gender specific pronouns are not suitable in instances like these, and we’re sorry to see this has not been applied here.

“It is entirely valid for someone who does not identify with the terms used to feel excluded and as a business we do not accept that anyone should feel excluded.”

But the apology was not welcomed by all passengers with some blasting the move.

LNER responded saying: ‘I’m really sorry to see this, Laurence, our Train Managers should not be using language like this’.

“When, oh when, will this mindless idiocy end?” British actor James Dreyfus responded.

An LNER spokesperson said: “We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all that we do for our customers, colleagues and communities.

“Our policies and procedures are reviewed regularly and in light of recent comments, we will review if any further changes need to be made.”

Transport for London ordered staff not to use “ladies and gentlemen” in 2017 to prevent staff from offending transgender passengers on London’s bus, Tube and rail network.

On Wednesday, former Prime Minister Tony Blair hit out at Britain’s “woke” culture, saying: “People are suspicious that behind the agenda of many of the culture warriors on the left lies an ideology they find alien and extreme.”

Laurence, who works as a guard for South Western Railway and is also a LGBTQI+ rep for both the RMT union and the Labour Party in Tooting, south London, didn’t want to comment when contacted by The Sun.

Charlotte works as an instructor signaller for London Underground and was a founder of the Progress Train group which promotes LGBTQI+ diversity and inclusivity across the railway industry.

Well I should have been feeling discriminated against as well as I would not meet the classification of a "Gentleman". Bit too rough around the edges for that. :hattip:
LNER need to "man up" "grow a pair" and stop acting like "big girls blouses" :stir:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

hburns wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:25 pm I think the UK government can learn from the Cambodian government here.

In Bolton, attention has been focused on just a handful of neighbourhoods to the south of town centre - Rumworth, Deane and Great Lever.

Lockdown those neighbourhoods and barricade the roads. Although I suspect its already too late, this may control the spread of this variant and protect the whole population having to suffer as a result of those people not isolating with their households as they were trusted to do to protect their communities and the country as a whole.
Don't forget the bamboo canes! Could do wonders for special constable recruitment.
And the alcohol ban. It would be interesting to see if they complained about the latter.
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

"so as a non-binary person this announcement doesn’t actually apply to me so I won’t listen."

What a turd. :bootyshake:
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

The employee who made the announcement should refuse to accept this stupid rule, if they sack him then take it all the way up to the top. We need a few brave souls to fight back. I had a blocked drain a few weeks ago, the council (Islington) sent somebody to unblock it. A week later I got a phone call asking me about the repair. Was the tradesman on time, clean, did he obey the distancing rules, did he leave the place clean.
I answered these questions in the positive. He then asked if he could ask me two more questions I said yes.

"What is your gender ?" he had asked for me by name in the initial phone call Mr...... . and had talked to me for 5 minutes. I said "thats a stupid question" and put the phone down, I wonder what the other question would have been ?
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:44 pm The employee who made the announcement should refuse to accept this stupid rule, if they sack him then take it all the way up to the top. We need a few brave souls to fight back. I had a blocked drain a few weeks ago, the council (Islington) sent somebody to unblock it. A week later I got a phone call asking me about the repair. Was the tradesman on time, clean, did he obey the distancing rules, did he leave the place clean.
I answered these questions in the positive. He then asked if he could ask me two more questions I said yes.

"What is your gender ?" he had asked for me by name in the initial phone call Mr...... . and had talked to me for 5 minutes. I said "thats a stupid question" and put the phone down, I wonder what the other question would have been ?
Second question - You sound so sweet. Are you doing anything tonight?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:36 pm Image
Good choice of image there, since it is childish to mock things we don’t understand.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

nerdlinger wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:33 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:36 pm Image
Good choice of image there, since it is childish to mock things we don’t understand.
Get a grip. Either you hold it to piss or you sit to piss. No other choices. Male hold it, Female sit.

Binary/no binary. Understand this. We are born male or female. That is it. :facepalm:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic