Where to now?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Where to now?

Post by John Bingham »

I hear Port Moresby is the place to be nowadays.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

John Bingham wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:50 pm I hear Port Moresby is the place to be nowadays.
give us some details please
work is for people who cant find truffles
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

truffledog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:39 pm
John Bingham wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:50 pm I hear Port Moresby is the place to be nowadays.
Regularly ranked one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

truffledog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:39 pm
It's fine as long as you get a decent compound and guards. Lots of money to be made. Just don't go wandering around or anything. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:14 pm
bossho wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:59 pm According to him, Javanese apparently were not welcome, even in the port of Ambon, and locals would only accept a Javanese as a guest if they had murdered another Javanese and were looking to hide out.
True or not Maluku seems like a wild part of the world within a wild region and if you are up for it I think it will deliver.
Any tales to tell?
I'm no anthropologist, but I'm not sure there has been any head hunting through the islands since the Dutch arrived a few hundred years ago, and I don't know anything about a hatred for the Javanese. My tales of the area are limited to a seeing few remnants of Dutch history, a Pelni boat ride, some exquisite snorkeling in pristine waters and a few Bintangs. Oh, there was that one weird chick from Hungary. Sorry.
People of Maluku are Indonesians Christians, and as so were used by the Dutchs for many responsabilities in managing other social classes, because their religion made them closer, and because they were also not from Chinese descent (which were used too, but also despised by indigineous Indonesians). The local production of nutmeg made an asset of this group of island, brought wealth to the Dutches, so they were closely monitoring the area then.

Maluku tried to get independance, which lasted 6 months in 1950, and since always had some will about it.
The Ambonese mafia is well known and feared in Jakarta, these are seriously tough people with a large network.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kei

I believe Javanese might not be too welcomed, as there were several clashes and terrorist acts beetween both since decades. Java has been invasive to other island's culture with Islam, here and there : Maluku, Sulawesi, Papua, Kalimantan, so yeah clashes with beheadings from the Dayaks not long ago in Kalimantan (Bornéo), who didn't like the incoming Islam wave, and more frictions like that. Java is the central power, money & muscle.

I highly recommend this book, from Nigel Barley, UK anthropologist, which describes his perigrinations in Indonesia, especially in Maluku. It's hilarious and well documented, and lucky you it's British. The French version is well fun to read anyway. His other books about Raffles, about Africa too, are also great. Couldn't find free pdfs online, but am interested is someone get them and share them.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/169 ... dous_Sport
https://asianreviewofbooks.com/content/ ... el-barley/
I think it's in this one he happens to cross a tribe guy in the forest named Hitler by his parents (because it was popular then on radio, and it sounded nice), and later on his trip another one called Bismarck, and then was fantasizing about setting a meeting with both of them... :lol:
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

B ho:
"my housemate here in Cambodia extolled the virtues of Maluku and I never forgot those tales...""

Ghostwriter:
''The Ambonese mafia is well known and feared in Jakarta, these are seriously tough people with a large network.''

Bitch Ho:
I was really thankful I'd had all these chats about Ambonese and Malukan s when I received a sudden head injury out in Jakarta one night to wake up nurses stitching my head up. I thought I d had enough stitching and decided to walk for the exit door of a large hospital in Jakarta Seletan and I made it outside but there were three larger darker fellas there for me. Seriously, I was VERY glad my old roomie and me had those chats about how stuff works in Indonesia and who to watch out for. Not like I was going to start shit with these guys or anything in my half clothed and maybe half sober way but I knew where they were from and we settled into a chat about that and the nurse did like a standing finish to the stitches and I had to go with the Ambon boys, one drove, me and two guys on each side of me in the back'. They took me to the central jail. I was out in 12 hours. It coulda been worse.

Word was that anyone that could had Ambonese as their private security detail due to the large amount of respect those folks got in the entire nation. I have no idea why I got those dudes assigned to me but they struck me as maybe a bit bored and they decided to pick up the case and see it through. I like to think all the, then ( a decade plus), fresh in my mind Malukan talk helped and dropping my buddy's island nickname and little secrets i heard also but it was a probably just a coin toss on whether they killed me or not. Which begs the question... how do headhunters play heads or tails ? They can't always go for heads....
Last edited by bossho on Fri May 14, 2021 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Ambon boss John Kei

Now, he's to well-known for that trick, but many inmates bribe their way out of prison daily, weekly, monthly, depending of the location & connection. Some inmates have been caught outside prison although without evasion notification, some watching a tennis match in a sport arena, some caught at the mall while shopping...
Let's say someone has an issue with a badboy, even if the badboy ends up in prison, you might cross him again a few weeks after in the street...So, better behave in Indonesia...Nothing's certain for sure.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

As back to the topic, where to go, Karimunjawa islands could be interesting, being close to Java (North coast, closest port Jepara, hence not too far from Semarang for immigration purposes). Was there a few weeks in 2003, on one small remote island all for us, felt at the end of the world, paradisiac mini-archipelago although not enough hills / mountains to my taste. Main island developped, the rest is still minimalist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=karimun ... 66&bih=626

ImageImage
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Ghostwriter wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:14 am As back to the topic, where to go, Karimunjawa islands could be interesting, being close to Java (North coast, closest port Jepara, hence not too far from Semarang for immigration purposes). Was there a few weeks in 2003, on one small remote island all for us, felt at the end of the world, paradisiac mini-archipelago although not enough hills / mountains to my taste. Main island developped, the rest is still minimalist.

https://www.google.com/search?q=karimun ... 66&bih=626

ImageImage
stunning..very interesting
work is for people who cant find truffles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic