The Curry Club

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The Curry Club

Post by AndyKK »

I had hell of an afternoon trying to get medicine that is only stocked to my knowledge in one pharmacy in Phnom Penh. I can obtain the medicine from two more location's, kampong Cham and Koh Kong, but not now with travel restrictions and kerfew. I was knackered on my return home, after shopping for a few nessasery items, and sleep soundly for some time.
I woke hungry, scouting the restaurants and menus on food panda, I eventually decided on the meal bellow, giving it top marks.

Excellent taste and heat.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Tonight I thought I would get back to the basics and cook my own dish -
Beef and Potatoes
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I opened the food panda app to find once again it was only showing food restaurants around my area, that won't do for me being most are Khmer food. So I looked at past orders and hit reorder, now I would just have to keep an eye on the progress. It worked and the meal was on it's way across the city streets, places I can not venture at this time.
The meal arrived and the delivery guy spoke very good English, I asked if he was working tomorrow, he replied "yes".
Why I asked was because the local shopkeeper delivered some goods today, telling us all shops and restaurant's would close tomorrow.
Anyway on to the meal, I added some chips.

Yes I know it's the same has the other day! I had the same dish from another restaurant in-between the same meals, but have not put it here because it was a complete let down.
This one is good.

I know it's a little on the expensive side, but mostly all are that way, very close to prices back home.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

With AndyKK advise and being stuck in Kampot for a month and a half, I have slowly worked my way though Marsala Twist Indian restaurants, Vegetarian dishes with not a bad one, all have been great, although I only attempt the mild . prices are from $3-5 for eat in or take way (which I always have as its enough for lunch and dinner if having some bread to go with it)
So if anyone finds themselves in Kampot check this out .
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

A very nice lamb bhuna

The lamb was plentiful and very tender. If I had a complaint it would be because the chapattis are the smallest I have ever seen.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

^I have just finished the above curry. It's always been hit or miss in Phnom Penh for good curries, but this dish is far the best up to now.
ash333
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ash333 »

atst wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:15 pm With AndyKK advise and being stuck in Kampot for a month and a half, I have slowly worked my way though Marsala Twist Indian restaurants, Vegetarian dishes with not a bad one, all have been great, although I only attempt the mild . prices are from $3-5 for eat in or take way (which I always have as its enough for lunch and dinner if having some bread to go with it)
Try Simon's
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

ash333 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:14 pm
atst wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:15 pm With AndyKK advise and being stuck in Kampot for a month and a half, I have slowly worked my way though Marsala Twist Indian restaurants, Vegetarian dishes with not a bad one, all have been great, although I only attempt the mild . prices are from $3-5 for eat in or take way (which I always have as its enough for lunch and dinner if having some bread to go with it)
Try Simon's
I have been recommended Simon's, I will most definitely be there on the next visit to Kampot.
Also I have been told the night market is good, serving a small number of dishes.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Nihari

According to many sources, Nihari either originated in Hyderabad or Old Delhi in the late 18th century during the last throes of the Mughal Empire or in the royal kitchens of Awadh, in modern-day Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India.
It was originally meant to be eaten as a breakfast dish, especially in cold mornings,
in an empty stomach.

Nihari developed with the overall cuisine of Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. It has been an old popular delicacy in parts of Bangladesh, particularly Dhaka and Chittagong. People cooked it for one whole night and they got it in the early morning at sunrise. The dish is known for its spiciness and taste. It was originally more of a delicacy with myriad variations on spiciness and texture.
Nihari is also used as a home remedy for fever, rhinorrhea and the common cold.

So, one more to add from Emaan Kitchen.

Here is the dish

Was it a good meal. Yes, it was good, lighter than many other meat dishes that you would normally be used too in the Indian restaurant.
But overall a very good taste, the meat was tender like I expected from the discription, and the spice worked well. The bread was very light and very tasty, wow, and I received rice to feed at least 4 people.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Lamb Bhuna Gosht

Gosht or ghosht refers to tender meat, cooked for a long time, and used as an ingredient in a number of Middle Eastern cuisine, Central Asian cuisine and cuisine of the Indian subcontinent. The word stems from the Persian word gosht گوشت, meaning "meat" or "flesh", especially that of goat.

Bhuna

A type of curry, in which the spices are cooked in oil with no water.
I found a recipe online from Madhur Jaffrey's Ultimate Curry Bible, unfortunately I didn't have that particular book, but I did have a small paperback of her excellent recipes.

https://keeprecipes.com/recipe/howtocoo ... huna-gosht

Here is the Lamb Bhuna Gosht. I added a few chips to make the meal additional, also I get two servings that way. Leaving the remaining curry in the refrigerator over night until the next day let's all the spices work, to give maximum flavor on the second serving.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic