US man recaptured after 5 days on the run in Bali jailbreak

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

US man recaptured after 5 days on the run in Bali jailbreak

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Back story:
Christian Beasley, a 32-year-old US citizen, was arrested in Bali in August for carrying five grams of hashish. He was in jail awaiting sentencing when he and another inmate, Paul Anthony Hoffman, cut a hole in the roof with a hacksaw in a bid to escape. Hoffman was caught almost immediately, but Beasley escaped to Lombok where he remained at large for 5 days before being captured by police.
He now claims he escaped because he was being threatened.

American claims he broke out of Bali jail because he was facing extortion threats
20 December 2017
At a press conference today, the handcuffed American was paraded in front of media with chains around his ankles and wearing an orange prison uniform and balaclava.
The 32-year-old told journalists he escaped because he was being extorted — although he did not say by whom.
“In jail, they threatened me for protection money. That’s why I left,” he said.

But Kerobokan’s chief warden, Tonny Nainggolan, rejected Beasley’s extortion claims as “total nonsense.”
He added: “There is no such thing, he made it up. We protect and guarantee the safety of the inmates and detainees in Kerobokan.”
https://coconuts.co/bali/news/american- ... n-threats/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: US man recaptured after 5 days on the run in Bali jailbreak

Post by phuketrichard »

its well know everyone is extorted, fucked over in Kerobokan jail

http://www.libgen.io/book/index.php?md5 ... 79359A1785
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

Meh, no sympathy for idiots who take drugs to Indonesia.

His claim could just be BS

No idea why some people rage over someone painting graffiti or posing nude at a temple, but sympathise with drug dealers who knowingly enter Indonesia, known by everyone to be one of the strictest govts wrt drugs.
Borum-Ex frm TOForum
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Borum-Ex frm TOForum »

that genius wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 pm Meh, no sympathy for idiots who take drugs to Indonesia.

His claim could just be BS

No idea why some people rage over someone painting graffiti or posing nude at a temple, but sympathise with drug dealers who knowingly enter Indonesia, known by everyone to be one of the strictest govts wrt drugs.
You can merely call someone with 5gr of hash in his pockets flying into Indonesia,a dealer. You can call him extremely stupid though...
I actually don't give a flying fuck, furthermore nice to meet you all here! :thumb:
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by that genius »

He was only caught with 5gm, I doubt that was all he had

They seem to be drawn like moths to a flame, then they whine about harsh prison conditions and survivors write a book afterwards telling the world what nasty people anti-drug dealers are
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Long read.

Where is Christian Beasley? The US citizen lost in Bali’s prison system
Christian Beasley escaped from one prison, only to be recaptured and incarcerated on the Indonesian island of Bali, where he is haunted by traumas past and present
SCMP Reporter
Published: 7:15am, 18 Apr, 2021

I have evidence, videos and photographs,” says the 34-year-old American, gripping a set of prison bars with white knuckles. “Serious stuff.”

In this remote corner of Bali, Christian Beasley will not elaborate until his “people on the outside check me out”, but, “maybe”, he says, “we can help each other”.

Beasley is one of 573 inmates of Bangli 2 Narcotics Prison, a high-security facility with a maximum capa­city of 468, reserved for drug convicts and prison breakers, of which he is both.

“With this evidence,” says Beasley, glancing suspi­ciously from side to side, “we could bring down the whole prison system.”

He refuses to elaborate, and I can only speculate as to what it might be. A video of a prisoner being tortured? A judge receiving a fat wad of cash? It feels just as likely to be a conspiracy theory cooked up in a mind unravelled by lifelong mental illness, compounded by years of incarceration, which have included a brutal six-month stint in a punishment block that contravenes the United Nations Convention Against Torture. In Indonesia, many lawmakers consider drug offenders worse public enemies than terrorists.

Despite his confinement, Beasley appears clean, albeit thin as a rake, sporting a bob of messy mid-length hair that makes him look a decade younger than he is. I am about to ask him to elaborate on this “evidence” when a guard arrives and says the maximum half-hour visiting time is up, and the prisoner is led away.

My interview with Beasley, in October last year – the first and only he has given since he escaped from Bali’s notorious Kerobokan Prison in December 2017 – came about by chance while combing Bali’s prison system for another, far more notorious, and eminently at-large prison breaker.
Full article: https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-mag ... lost-balis
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:50 pm
Christian Beasley will not elaborate until his “people on the outside check me out”, but, “maybe”, he says, “we can help each other”.

“With this evidence,” says Beasley, glancing suspi­ciously from side to side, “we could bring down the whole prison system.”

He refuses to elaborate, and I can only speculate as to what it might be.

Full article: https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-mag ... lost-balis
Sounds related to BSCW.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

that genius wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 pm Meh, no sympathy for idiots who take drugs
FTFY :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

'Zero sympathy for those that take alcohol and other hard drugs.

^^ if i wanted to be a self-righteous narrow-minded prudish-twat.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Wrong path, long stay.
Making the prison system loose face twice isn't the way to get clemency.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic