Off the Beaten Track: Cambodia’s lost rock ‘n’ roll

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

3 hours ago
Tom Taylor

In the sweltering heat of Phnom Penh, the world is reduced to a kaleidoscopic melee akin to being trapped inside a beehive. The swarming buzz of motorbikes and half-conked-out minibuses fill the air with a deafening rattle. The dizzying mix of flickering neon from yesteryear and incongruous rising monolithic pagodas from an even older yesteryear are shrouded in the decay and sedated dilapidation of a post-war city healing its wounds and, for better or for worse, relinquishing to the fading memory of the past.

For 20 years, from the late 1950s onwards, Cambodia assimilated music from all over the world into a mixed-up milieu that represented a cultural zenith in world music. Everything from everywhere seemed to be happening all at once. Until suddenly, it wasn’t. After years where Cambodia had packed out dancefloors with a menagerie of distilled scenes from all over the world, it was seemingly snuffed out overnight by the brutalist Khmer Rouge regime.

Now, thanks to the work of documentaries like Don’t Think I’ve Forgotten, and the efforts of organisations like The Documentation Centre of Cambodia, the countries musical past is being pieced together and beginning to ring out a tune once more.

When exploring the lost rock ‘n’ roll of Cambodia, it is befitting to start at the end and work back to the start. The coda to the unspooling story of Cambodian music is a bittersweet one. Music has returned and reclaimed its rightful ever-present place in the droning hum of Cambodia’s ceaseless zeitgeist. However, like a pasture that was destroyed beyond repair, it has had to be replanted by hand— thus, it bears the mark of cultivation. The music now filling the streets is often a westernised appropriation, whereas, in the past, it seemed to be a natural celebration and fevered concoction of a musical balm to life.
https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/cambodia-l ... rld-music/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Off the Beaten Track: Cambodia’s lost rock ‘n’ roll

Post by nerdlinger »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:33 am snuffed out overnight by the brutalist Khmer Rouge regime.
Didn’t know they were into exposed concrete.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

LOL ^^ You nerd.

Three cheers for Modern Khmer Brutalism.
Vann Molyvann and all that, and much more.

Imagine if the glorious Democratic Kampuchea had reached its full Stalinist apogee and got their shit together enough to pour some concrete...
:shock:
'would have made for some pretty good heavy metal auditoriums today
Biffsm
BANNED
United States of America

Post by Biffsm »

My lady and I listened to Khmer music from the 60s all the time.
Youtube has a lot of old Khmer music.
In Jamaica I used to listen to covers of famous World music.
Khmer singers did the same.
I love the guitar solo that every Khmer tune adds.
Watching the young babes dance or couples is great.
It is one of the first things I fell in love with here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic