Spare Bank Account

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Spare Bank Account

Post by Doc67 »

I am looking for a second bank account so I can have a spare debit/ATM card. I am going travelling at some point in the next few months and I don't want my ABA card getting stolen, damaged or stuck in a machine somewhere half way round the earth leaving me with just my UK bank card.

What bank is easy to open and issue Visa backed debit/ATM cards and can receive funds from a Cambodian banks via Bakong.

Or... any other solutions to my card concerns? Maybe a pre paid card from the UK?
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Spare Bank Account

Post by DaveG »

I tried to open accounts over there and found canadia the easiest, only problem is that over a certain purchase limit they send a OTP number to your registered phone number which is a pain in the ass now as iv lost my cambodian number, with the ABA I can use the app for verification, but not the canadia app,

PS, if you are popping back to the UK before wondering off around the world you may be better off opening a Revolut or Starling account and have the cards sent to a UK address
Last edited by DaveG on Fri May 07, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

You can withdraw from an ABA ATM without a card using the app. Otherwise maybe ask ABA for a regular ATM card. The first one I had was not Mastercard or Visa but had Unionpay instead and I think no annual fee.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Doc67 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:57 am I am looking for a second bank account so I can have a spare debit/ATM card. I am going travelling at some point in the next few months and I don't want my ABA card getting stolen, damaged or stuck in a machine somewhere half way round the earth leaving me with just my UK bank card.

What bank is easy to open and issue Visa backed debit/ATM cards and can receive funds from a Cambodian banks via Bakong.

Or... any other solutions to my card concerns? Maybe a pre paid card from the UK?
I opened an account instantly with Starling Bank in the UK without leaving my living room in Phnom Penh. Transfers from Cambodian banks no issue, was an absolute breeze. The only issue is that to activate the account & get a card you will need to give a UK address as your residential address. I used a relative who also then sent me the card details & I'll pickup the card when I see them next - but easily couriered if you need a physical card. I was up and running within 48 hours.

It's a thumbs up from me. :hattip:

https://www.starlingbank.com/
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Transferwise you get a physical atm card too, same as above regards the uk address thing, i use this bank also to send my money to my international banks because they do a great exchange rate and super quick with transfers, plus their ATM card when using overseas each month the first £200 withdrawn is fee free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Spigzy wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:57 pm
Doc67 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:57 am I am looking for a second bank account so I can have a spare debit/ATM card. I am going travelling at some point in the next few months and I don't want my ABA card getting stolen, damaged or stuck in a machine somewhere half way round the earth leaving me with just my UK bank card.

I opened an account instantly with Starling Bank in the UK without leaving my living room in Phnom Penh. Transfers from Cambodian banks no issue, was an absolute breeze. The only issue is that to activate the account & get a card you will need to give a UK address as your residential address. I used a relative who also then sent me the card details & I'll pickup the card when I see them next - but easily couriered if you need a physical card. I was up and running within 48 hours.

It's a thumbs up from me. :hattip:

https://www.starlingbank.com/
I second this. have used Starling for a few years now. great bank to have as can manage everything on the app.

If you lose the card & freeze the account, and great rates for foreign currency

Same with Monzo & transferwise too (& revolut to an extent)

I'd recommend anyone getting 2 of the above, they are free
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

I have 2 cards at the ABA bank. Visa and Master.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
lucathenomad
Expatriate
Italy

Post by lucathenomad »

Have been using Revolut for years.
Really happy with it.
The app is great and very user friendly
You can have multiple accounts in different currencies including crypto
No commision and minimal spread exchanging currencies
You can create virtual cards
It's basically free!
I once lost phisical card once in Albania and new one was delivered in less than 48 hours
Love it and highly reccomend it
Only caveat is you cannot be officialy resident in KH
Ciao
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chuck Borris wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:25 pm I have 2 cards at the ABA bank. Visa and Master.
On the same account?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:10 pm Transferwise you get a physical atm card too, same as above regards the uk address thing, i use this bank also to send my money to my international banks because they do a great exchange rate and super quick with transfers, plus their ATM card when using overseas each month the first £200 withdrawn is fee free

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an account with TransferWise and been using them since being here. I just had a look around their site and it seems I can get a physical card, but will need to change my address for them to send it to as have long since left the one they know about.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic